wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum

Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum Order of battle, unit history, personality research.

Jurgen Wagner info wanted
Old 07-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Etienne B.
Association Member

Default Jurgen Wagner info wanted

Hi all,

I'm looking for info on Jurgen Wagner.He was the last commander of the division ''Nederland''.He surrendered to the americans close to Berlin.But they hand him over to Yugoslavia.He was there sentenced for allegded warcrimes and executed.My particulary interest is in this last period ! Has anyone some info about his trial,or where I can find documents ?

Etienne

Old 07-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Oberjunker

Wagner was killed for his involvement with actions of the Wiking Division on anti-partisan actions in Yugoslavia. See: Europaeische Freiwillige (Strassner)

Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
RichD-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberjunker View Post
Wagner was killed for his involvement with actions of the Wiking Division on anti-partisan actions in Yugoslavia. See: Europaeische Freiwillige (Strassner)
Incorrect. There is nothing in this trial documentation to support this.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Oberjunker

Then his HIAG comerades were incorrect. Please enlighten us as to why he was killed.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Lloyd I.
Association Member

Wagner was an SS-Ostubaf. and commander of the II Batl./ SS-Regt. "Deutschland"/ SS-Div. "Reich" at the time in question, not Wiking. He was charged for his involvement in war crimes committed right after the very invasion of Yugoslavia, in April 1941, while he was the short-term city commander in the Banat capital, Petrovgrad (Zrenjanin) - where he was also tried and executed by firing squad in the same city he committed his crimes in to include:

• persecution of the local Jews who under his command were rounded up and placed in a camp until their extermination
  • On entering the city Wagner ordered the destruction of the huge city synagogue from 1896. The Synagogue was completely disassembled, brick by brick, and the building material, and everything valuable inside the temple, was then "confiscated" by the Germans
  • Wagner also ordered executions of the civilian populace as evidenced by the mass graves in Alibunar and Petrovgrad
For sources "Zrenjaninske vatre" by Đorđe Momčilović 1987, (Extermination of the Jews - pages 166-172)
"Zločini okupatora i njihovih pomagača u Vojvodini" (Synagogues - page 229), is a series of volumes by the Provincial War Crimes Commission(Vojvodina). These were originally written in the 1940s as the commission started working already during the war which is explained in the volumes.

12th SS-Panzer Division Hitlerjugend items

Last edited by Lloyd I.; 10-21-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
Lloyd I.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne B. View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for info on Jurgen Wagner.He was the last commander of the division ''Nederland''.He surrendered to the americans close to Berlin.But they hand him over to Yugoslavia.He was there sentenced for allegded warcrimes and executed.My particulary interest is in this last period ! Has anyone some info about his trial,or where I can find documents ?

Etienne

Etienne,

The US handed Wagner over to the British who requested his transfer of custody. The British were the ones who turned him over to the Yugoslavian authorities to stand trial for war crimes.

Also, he was captured by US forces at the Tangermünde bridge which is on the banks of the Elbe River some 120km East of Berlin.

The primary Yugoslavian sources are what you need listed in my previous comment.

Best

12th SS-Panzer Division Hitlerjugend items

Last edited by Lloyd I.; 10-21-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: new WAF format is terrible!!

Old 10-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
Etienne B.
Association Member

Thanks Lloyd,

Also nice to see my post out of 2005 again ;-) Are those reports available in english or german perhaps ?
And more important are his judicial files available ? I can imagine that there were some transcripts made probably even in german ?

kind regards,

Etienne

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach