wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Political Organizations

Political Organizations All aspects of Third Reich Political Organizations, including the SA, NSDAP, NSKK, NSFK, HJ, DAF, NSKOV, etc.

Paintings by Hitler at Germania International
Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
BrianK

Default Paintings by Hitler at Germania International

Anyone care to comment on the purported Adolf Hitler paintings for sale at Germania International? They are using a book with pictures of known fakes to authenticate the art. I have my doubts on some of the sold and unsold pieces. The sold painting of the fairy tale like castle doesn't look like Hitler's style at all.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

here is the direct link for the various dubious AH paintings.

http://www.germaniainternational.com...rchhitler.html

I'm including various pics for the WAF archives, courtesy of Germania International (and the Billy Price book).

The first one is the Billy Price book, "Adolf Hitler, the unknown artist", which is unfortunately full of fakes and suspicious paintings like Brian said.

The 4 next pictures are of two paintings presented in the Price's book, which were sold by Germania International.

The last 4 pictures are showing a painting and a drawing still proposed by Germania International for 45k and 15k.

So like i said a few times on this subject, it should be noted that since the start of political life of Hitler, a big market for its original (and fake) paintings existed and was monitored by various high-ranking NSDAP members and various police departments.
Real paintings of Hitler are ultra elusive as Hitler only painting a few hundred of them, most were of smaller sizes.
So it shouldn't surprise anyone that the vast majority of the paintings proposed on the market are fakes.
Fakes existed already from the late 20's...

See You

Vince
The
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BP.jpg (56.1 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg B1a.jpg (245.3 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg B1b.jpg (97.7 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg B2a.jpg (124.3 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg B2b.jpg (79.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg A.jpg (44.7 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg AA.jpg (189.0 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (64.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg BB.jpg (253.2 KB, 384 views)

Old 10-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
squidney86
Association Member

I have read before that West Point has a few locked away.

Sydney

Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
BrianK

I'd say that the West Point examples have a better chance of being authentic than Germania International's. In the light of many fakes being exposed in recent years everyone needs to take a second look at what they have. In the past, until it was shown to be full of fakes, the Billy Price book was used as a primary source for authentication.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
Br. James
Association Member

To my 'amateur's eye,' those paintings express talent well beyond what most of us could muster, and that has always made me wonder what was really behind the decision of Vienna's School of Fine Arts to decline the 18-year-old Adolf Hitler admission to study there...twice? While some of those paintings may not have actually been done by Hitler, as we suppose today, we have all seen a number of originals and, IMHO, the talent each of them expresses appears to have been considerable.

Needless to say, if Hitler had been admitted to the Vienna School, his future career would undoubtedly have taken a much different route than the one it did...and what a change that would have made to our world!

Br. James

Old 10-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Gary Symonds
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. James View Post
To my 'amateur's eye,' those paintings express talent well beyond what most of us could muster, and that has always made me wonder what was really behind the decision of Vienna's School of Fine Arts to decline the 18-year-old Adolf Hitler admission to study there...twice? While some of those paintings may not have actually been done by Hitler, as we suppose today, we have all seen a number of originals and, IMHO, the talent each of them expresses appears to have been considerable.

Needless to say, if Hitler had been admitted to the Vienna School, his future career would undoubtedly have taken a much different route than the one it did...and what a change that would have made to our world!

Br. James
If the School could have read the future of the 20th century, they would have offered Hitler free education, free books, food and lodging, and provided him a job as a professor of art.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

in 2001, French writer Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt published "La part de l'autre" ("The part of the other"), an uchronia in which Hitler is accepted in the art school.
For advanced people interested in this period, the book is not that great, but it was a massive success in France and other European countries.
Unfortunately no English translation exist, despite it was made available in a dozen of languages (including German).

See You

Vince

Old 10-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
BrianK

IMO the Bavarian Castle painting was not painted by Hitler. In fact it looks like it was done by a much better painter. Charlie Snyder had a group of AH paintings like this. In so many ways Snyder was Germania International's mentor, right down to the fantastic descriptions and numerous 4th Reich items. Of course GI is much more verbose. Then again, brevity is the soul of wit.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Wood

Wasn't Winston Churchill supposed to own several of Hitlers paintings?

Old 10-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Br. James
Association Member

"If the School could have read the future of the 20th century, they would have offered Hitler free education, free books, food and lodging, and provided him a job as a professor of art."

I'm sure you're right, Gary. Amen!

Br. James

Old 10-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
bodes

It's my understanding, that Hitler's inability to do decent renderings of human beings, is the reason for his refused entry....They were considered too unnatural and stick like....Bodes

Old 10-13-2019, 02:19 AM   #12
Stan
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Wasn't Winston Churchill supposed to own several of Hitlers paintings?
Not sure that it was Churchill although it could have been.

Another English aristocrat though owned 30 AH paintings.

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 10-13-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
BrianK

Let us face it. Hitler was a minimally adequate painter. But I'm sure that there were many more at the academy that were better than him. He was a much better political organizer than painter.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #14
Richard
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Symonds View Post
If the School could have read the future of the 20th century, they would have offered Hitler free education, free books, food and lodging, and provided him a job as a professor of art.

It is also quite likely that many on this forum would never have been born as a result of that alternate history. One can only conjecture if history would have been better or worse. As bad as it was, it provided the world we have today. Who is to say it could not have been worse if he would have been accepted. Possibly the Russians would have developed the atom bomb first and attacked Europe and the US.
Richard V
Mann soll auch seine Feinde lieben!

Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
BrianK

The Bavarian castle painting doesn't look like it was the product of the Third Reich at all. Hitler's paintings were usually dark and moody. That painting looks like it is the product of Walt Disney Studios. Though they do say that Eva and others at the Berghof liked the movie "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves".