wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #16
Edelweiss
Association Member

If there's a difference in the decal/helmet/etc..., it's not obvious to me...

Old 04-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #17
Ken N
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN
OK, SS police personel could have and did use the combat police helmet. I have seen one example of Gestapo Personel that was attached to the mian Police unit, that had the decals in reversed sides, location of the shield and the police decal were switched.Michael
Michael:
Is it possible that you were looking at a photo that was reversed? (made from a transparent negitive that was mistakely backwards) There are many photos in texts that display this error.
And it is true...."gestapo" means "SECRET" police. Why would there be such a glaring difference in the helmet if one were worn by them?
When you say "Yes. They do exist", I would ask, "Where?"

There are very few certainties in this hobby. But one of them is that there is no difference between a police helmet and a 4th SS division helmet. Since the 4th SS served entirely on the eastern front and was destroyed there, it would be a miricle for a real 4th SS helmet to show up today. Could one come to western collectors from Russia today? oh, please.....

Old 04-20-2004, 06:20 PM   #18
MGN
Expelled

Hey Ken,
Didn't know that you were here!
Not possble I wasn't looking at a photo had the helmet in my hands

One will turn up sooner or later....

Michael

Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 PM   #19
MGN
Expelled

Why couldn't one come from a western collector? Possible but not likely is what you mean. Ken if you see one marked with the guys unit and name in the helmet would that make you a believer ?

Michael

Old 04-20-2004, 06:30 PM   #20
Ken N
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN
Why couldn't one come from a western collector? Possible but not likely is what you mean. Ken if you see one marked with the guys unit and name in the helmet would that make you a believer ?

Michael
I could paint an SS name and unit into the back of a police helmet that would make even an advanced collector chomp at the bit to be able to buy it. Thats the easiest thing in the world to fake. I know. I have seen it done. But would never stoop to such a thing, myself.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #21
Matt M
Association Member

Lets get back to the point of the of the thread.
I think Darryl and Ken summed it up best.
Any knowledgable collector is not going to pay more for a DD Combat Police helmet because someone tells them its from the 4th SS Division.

Sure, there are a few examples of Police helmets with decals reversed or one of the 2 on the wrong side.
Who knows why, re-issue, transfere ???????
You sure are not going to convince me or many other people there is a distinctive pattern to the decal application for the 4 SS Division.

People making comments here have been collecting a long time and have seen thousands of helmets.
Police helmets are not my area of expertise but I have bought and sold a lot of them.

Nice examples of the Combat Police helmet in action posted by Chris.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN

Michael

Old 04-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #22
Edelweiss
Association Member

Reversed decals here ? SS DD helmet ? Who will ever know ?
A SS Polizei Schutzen Regimenter once again, Westwall, march 1940.

For me, a 100 % undoubtful SS polizei helmet would at least show runes over the party shield...

Last edited by Edelweiss; 04-20-2004 at 07:07 PM.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:02 PM   #23
MGN
Expelled

Hey Matt,
If the liner is marked and I know where its comming from I would pay more for a true SS police helmet!

Since like you said, "Who Knows" that is not a good excuse for me to stop trying to find another. Anyway I am not here to convince you of anything, but have you seen any SS police helmets?

Well seeing thousands of helmets, doesn't mean you have seen all originals or even the type I am talking about about.

Michael

Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #24
Perry Floyd
Lifetime Member

Polizei helmets used by SS units did not have different decals, as Darryl mentioned they are one in the same. 99.9% of the collecting community will tell you this because the factual evidence is massive. Notice the pics Chris posted..
To know a Polizei helmet was used by a SS trooper it would have to have a genuine marking to a SS unit or have SS decal applied over the Polizei decals. Even this doesn't mean he was in a SS Polizei unit as the helmet could have been reissued from the Polizei to the SS. There's actually 2-3 likely scenerios even there as to how a SS trooper acquired a Polizei helmet..

helmet
Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 AM   #25
zbiratelj

Thumbs up helmet

wow. thanx that was quick.
when i went to bed yesterday there were only three posts, now there are 24,
this forum is really great. ok now i know not to fall for that kind of helmet because it it is ss.
thanx

Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #26
Association Member

Old tread but never outdated
I got a standard DD m35 polizei helmet and a "totenschlager" stright from the loft.
Inside this DD polizei helmet it was a ss newspaper, and this lott had been colected at a fortres in Norway after the end of ww2 wher Gestapo had resonly been in action. That is the nearest i have been a ss polizei helmet i knowe.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1945 View Post
Old tread but never outdated
I got a standard DD m35 polizei helmet and a "totenschlager" stright from the loft.
Inside this DD polizei helmet it was a ss newspaper, and this lott had been colected at a fortres in Norway after the end of ww2 wher Gestapo had resonly been in action. That is the nearest i have been a ss polizei helmet i knowe.

I recently saw what looks to be an original m34 helmet that started it's life as a painted black polizei...Than sometime during the war, had it's exterior and interior (minus under the liner) repainted green and new polizei decals added in reverse to the exterior........Thought it was rather unusual and interesting...Bodes