wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Kriegsmarine marked K98k ammo pouches
Old 07-11-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Carl Ellingstad

Default Kriegsmarine marked K98k ammo pouches

Hi Guys!

I have a list over several manufacture and dates of K98k ammo pouches that I have who are Kriegsmarine stamped, if you have a different year or manufacture please reply. Im specially interested in early manufacture (1935-38) Might be optimistic to think it will be a complete list but interesting to see how many different manufacture we can come up with!

Here is the list:

-Stecher, Freiberg 1942
-Stecher, Freiberg 1943
-Gustav Schiele, Lederwarenfabrik, Loburg. 1942
-Franz Brehme, Walsrode 1941
-Franz Brehme, Walsrode 1940
-Rahm & Kampmann Kaiserstautern 1938
-Ryffel & Borns, Hannover 1939
-Friedrich Offermann und Söhne, Bensberg 1939
-H Clemen, Elberfeld 1942
-Eugene Huber, München 1937
- jnb, 1941

If you have one who matches one of mine, drop me a line to let it have a new home

Regards

Carl

Last edited by Carl Ellingstad; 08-12-2004 at 01:39 AM.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
kmh

Hi Carl

You are entering a minefield if you decide to collect pouches by makers. I am ammo pouch collector by maker's and I tell you it is a never-ending story. The KM pouches are normal pouches and every maker of ammo pouches seems to have delivered some to the nearest KM depot, so it almost a random process among makers. Finally when KM recieved the pouch they stamped it with the usual KM eagle M.
Regarding your question.
I have about 23 to 25 differents makers KM stamped for the moment. And that's I guess nothing! We are facing a number of leather makers and factories, to be more than 1000 and its my guess we should recognize more to come before we reach the end. I am trying trying gathering a list of makers for use later on, but I still find new maker names etc. to add on the list.

What is your interesse in the early one? The construction or the stamping?? I can inform you about there are at least 4 differents KM eagle and M and HK and M stampings.
I have all the makers you mentioned here plus others, I will or can reply by PM if you like that.Making the list will be long too long here I guess?? Comments!

Regards
Kim

Old 07-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
kmh

Carl

I was wrong I am missing one the H. Clemen pouch. The name on one of your pouches is. Friedrich Offermann und Söhne, Leder u. Lederwaren. Bensberg. And his the tree letter code is (dkk).

I guess we can arrange a swap if you like. Revert

Regards
Kim

Old 07-15-2004, 04:24 AM   #4
Carl Ellingstad

Hi Kim!

Thanks for your information! My interest in the early dated pouches, is the differences in the KM eagle stamps, I have so far only observed two different stamps, so it would be interesting to see the two others you refer to. Do you have scans of this?
Kim, PM me and we arrange a swap with the pouches!

Regards

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh
Carl

I was wrong I am missing one the H. Clemen pouch. The name on one of your pouches is. Friedrich Offermann und Söhne, Leder u. Lederwaren. Bensberg. And his the tree letter code is (dkk).

I guess we can arrange a swap if you like. Revert

Regards
Kim

Old 07-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Peter C

Carl,

I have a matched pair of "Stecher, Freiberg 1938" that have a brown back and black front. Also have a single "jnb 1941" that is all black.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
kmh

Hi all

Thanks for the reply and Peter code marked KM pouches are not seen that often, Stecher Freiberg must have been a very large leather factory a lot of pouches etc. from him are found. Carl the last maker is Eugen Huber in München.

I'll be back!!

Regards
Kim

Old 08-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
Carl Ellingstad

Peter: Thanks, updated the list above.

Kim: Tanks for your posting and for sharing your knowledge.

Please post more codes or varations, guys!!

Regards

Carl

Old 08-11-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Bergflak

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Ellingstad
Hi Guys!

-H Clemen, Elberfeld 1942
-............huber, Munchen 1937
- jnb, 1941

Regards

Carl
Hi Carl!

I have registered two K98k slings with the marking "Eugene Huber-1938-München" and "Eugene Huber-1939-München". I bet you a dollar he is the "hard-to-read" maker of the KM K98k pouch above!

Old 08-12-2004, 01:40 AM   #9
Carl Ellingstad

Thanks, Reidar! I have updated the list above

Old 08-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #10
Gene
Lifetime Member

What about Carl/Karl Ackva? His firm was a prolific maker of ammo pouches

Old 08-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #11
kmh

Hi

Karl Ackva do also have delivered pouches to the Kriegsmarine and regarding the whole matter allow me saying some words about KM and others pouches.

In my opinion all pouches is unmarked and simply ordered by the local supply command who sat in the various branches. The pouches ware unmarked from the maker until they reach the depot man then goes into inventory.
The future markings was depending on what branch they was ordered to and second to what regiment, company etc.

The army normally used a ink stamp to inventory the goods saying the city and year like B 36 = Berlin 1936 later when given out an regiment could add a stamp in the lid too what happens a lot.

The KM don't use ink stamps inside like the army do in fact no stamping is found at all except for the KM eagle and the well known M. punched in the leather on the backside.

LW made it differently all LW inventory are stamped e.g.LBA 36 means Luftwaffe Beschafungs Amt and year 1936 some other variations of that are known. Once again on early pouches you will/can find staffel, flak or schule stampings both in ink and punched into the leather.

The idea about stamping and punching the pouches seem to fade away when war started an in 1940 that was almost gone. This happens as said mainly to the pouches but the stampings goes on to other leather items and materials I guess to the end of the war.

I hope you understand and like my little history about the pouches please adds your own information's and opinions I would like to hear a discussions because all this is my own meaning about how it have works out back then.

Regards
Kim

Ps.
KM punched the pouches until 1943 thats the last year found to my knowledge

Old 08-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #12
Gene
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh

LW made it differently all LW inventory are stamped e.g.LBA 36 means Luftwaffe Beschafungs Amt
Actually LBA means Luftwaffe Bekleidungsamt

Old 08-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #13
kmh

Hi Gene

You are absolutely right about the Bekleidung Amt! I for some reasom always make this error??

Thanks and Regards
Kim

Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
hcliffe
Association Member

I have 2 KM marked pouches.
1) Wiemar eagle with a "M" underneath, dated 1935, marked "Carl ......"
2) Normal eagle with a "M" underneath, dated 1941, marked "Franz....."

Old 08-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #15
Carl Ellingstad

HI!

Thanks for you contribution.

Would you hae chance to post photos of the markings?
I would guess that it is Carl Ackva (1935) and Franz Brehme (1941)
But photos would make it easier to confirm.

Best regards

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcliffe
I have 2 KM marked pouches.
1) Wiemar eagle with a "M" underneath, dated 1935, marked "Carl ......"
2) Normal eagle with a "M" underneath, dated 1941, marked "Franz....."