wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Police & Civil Organizations Forum

Police & Civil Organizations Forum Police, RAD, Luftschutz, Org. Todt and other civil support organizations

This Traffic Police Shako...
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
stonemint
Lifetime Member

Default This Traffic Police Shako...

...just went for $5203 excluding commission
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m19_12993.jpg (108.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg m19_12999.jpg (88.2 KB, 181 views)

Old 06-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
Gordon Craig

stonemint,

I saw this on emedals and for the damaged condition that seems like a lot of money! Thanks for letting us know what the hammer price was.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
W.Unland

What's with the gold Kokarde? That makes me a bit uneasy.

Also having made one of these out of a post war tschako for a display I know how easy it is if you have the right paint. The originals were painted too. A $4500 spray job is a good profit. Yes you need the hardware, but that is doable. I have a lot of trouble accepting any traffic tschako as real unless the vents are clean (this one is not) and the lacquer is a certain type which I really don't want to mention here.

This is NOT a "one looker" to me.

Regards,
W.Unland

Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
JoeW
Association Member

I must admit the first views above got me wondering about the paint job, but seeing the rest of the photos from the auction just now, I believe it to be a period shako and white covering. Bill, these vents are 99% clean from what I can see. I think the cockade was ripped or torn off, damaging the holder above the eagle. Someone fixed a replacement cockade probably from a post war piece and not knowing the coloration, repainted the outer portion gold. The rear view seems to show some damage to the little clips holding the front of the cockade to the rear. Probably repainted the W German colors (black/red/gold) to the Nat Soc colors (silver/black/red). But look at the surface of the white shako at the sides and rear. Crazing of the finish. Perhaps the gold color of the posts and eagle were redone. Can't tell from the photo, but seems awfully bright.

Crazy price, but someone wanted it badly.
Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
stonemint
Lifetime Member

Having owned one of these myself, I look to see if the white cotton thread is overpainted, and I do not see it one this one, so I believe it is original with a repainted BRD cockade.

More pix for posterity:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m19_12994.jpg (96.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg m19_12996.jpg (98.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg m19_12995.jpg (79.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg m19_12997.jpg (205.3 KB, 147 views)

Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
W.Unland

Seeing the additional photos I agree that it looks original, except for the Kokarde.

A lot can be faked but real age and grazing to the lacquer would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to do. I also note the unpainted threads holding it together. These were generally lacquered and then assembled so the threads should not be painted and the vent screens clean. Of course I believe some were painted after assembly to meet need. This one I would buy.......but not for that much money.....I'm too poor!

Regards,
William unland

Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
JoeW
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Unland View Post
Seeing the additional photos I agree that it looks original, except for the Kokarde.

A lot can be faked but real age and grazing to the lacquer would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to do. I also note the unpainted threads holding it together. These were generally lacquered and then assembled so the threads should not be painted and the vent screens clean. Of course I believe some were painted after assembly to meet need. This one I would buy.......but not for that much money.....I'm too poor!

Regards,
William unland

No, you're too intelligent to waste such a sum on a damaged shako.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #8
Military
Association Member

Hi,

Could you please educate some of us why the Tshako is damaged? I don't collect visors but always willing to learn. The eagle seems too mint and it might have been re-sprayed at some point we don't know.

Mil

Old 06-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
JoeW
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military View Post
Hi,

Could you please educate some of us why the Tshako is damaged? I don't collect visors but always willing to learn. The eagle seems too mint and it might have been re-sprayed at some point we don't know.

Mil

The retaining socket for the shako cockade shaft has been broken open/off. The cockade this sits very low on the eagle. The eagle and small metal parts have what I believe to be a gold refurbishment with modern paint. In addition, in the photo above of the cockade, you can see where the two inner portions of the cockade were repainted silver over red and red over the gold center that was used for W German police shakos. The colors black red and gold are the colors of the W German flag, while black , red and white were the colors of the Third Reich insignia cockades.

Last edited by JoeW; 06-21-2019 at 09:51 AM.