wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #16
scottr

Matt's assertion is correct. Someone swapped the barrel & block assembly for unknown reasons at some point in the past.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
TP Alexander
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr View Post
The '35' is a batch number for the barrel (also preceded by 'B' in a circle) and has no relationship with weapon serializing. Just a coincidence in this case.

Thank you,
Day isn’t wasted.
Learned sometimes today!!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
oldcorps
Association Member

Other than some known late production variants where both upper-case and lower-case letters were used for the same serial on different parts, I frequently notice that the fonts on the barrel were struck with different dies than the numbers on the slide and frame. Also, on some 1942 Walther production, matching frame and slide numbers are of different sizes. As for factory "mistakes" in mating parts assemblies of different numbers, these typically only occur in the Walther "C" block in 1945.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #19
MP41
Association Member

Thanks for the added photos Tim. Reason I asked for them was to make sure that the barrel and locking block were Walther parts, not Mauser, or Spreewerk.

Given the fact that both the locking block and barrel match each other, but do not match the rest of the pistol, I believe my first thoughts are correct. That the barrel and locking block were swapped at some point in time, for some reason. When was this done? No way to tell for sure. Why was it done?
Someone mentioned during cleaning. It's possible, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. Most likely, the original barrel/locking block was damaged somehow, either cracked, pitted, cut down, or just worn out.

Bottom line is, it's still a mismatched pistol as others have said, and therefore, unfortunately, is shooter grade gun only.

Hope this helps,
Matt