wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
Gordon Craig

Nico,

If you look at the second picture in post #25, the one where only the small pack is worn, you will see that the straps are attached to the small pack in exactly the same way that I have mine done.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
Guardian 5

DeWayne,

Great looking kit! It looks like all you are missing is an e-tool.

Quick question: Is the pictured pouch a shoe shine kit?

Thanks much,
TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shine kit.jpg (74.2 KB, 299 views)

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
RedCatcher1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian 5 View Post
DeWayne,

Great looking kit! It looks like all you are missing is an e-tool.

Quick question: Is the pictured pouch a shoe shine kit?

Thanks much,
TJ
TJ,

Yes, that's what I believe it as, as it came with the pouch and two brushes that appear similar to the type I owned to shine my own boots in the US Army.

Sincerely,
DeWayne

Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
Collectinsteve

Yup, you're well on your way to a complete portrayal of late 1970s. The Moleskin jacket you have was used from roughly 1974 through 1985. The canteen is technically earlier than this period (rough finish), I think, but it's the sort of kit that was basically issued as long as it was functional.

Single folding spade e-tools aren't tough to find. Not expensive either. You should be able to get one without too much difficulty.

Do you have trousers? Not too much of a problem getting them, but it is becoming harder. You also need to be aware there are 4 different models and you want the 3rd Model. eBay pictures are often crappy and it's tough to see the differences.

BTW, I don't think the leather winter gloves are that easily found these days. A nice addition.

Steve

Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #35
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectinsteve View Post
Yup, you're well on your way to a complete portrayal of late 1970s. The Moleskin jacket you have was used from roughly 1974 through 1985. The canteen is technically earlier than this period (rough finish), I think, but it's the sort of kit that was basically issued as long as it was functional.

Single folding spade e-tools aren't tough to find. Not expensive either. You should be able to get one without too much difficulty.

Do you have trousers? Not too much of a problem getting them, but it is becoming harder. You also need to be aware there are 4 different models and you want the 3rd Model. eBay pictures are often crappy and it's tough to see the differences.

BTW, I don't think the leather winter gloves are that easily found these days. A nice addition.

Steve
The old Style Gloves with the Wrist Strap are a real rare Item today. Still 2 Years ago I sold them for 7.50 incl. Taxes. Now a well known Wholesale Dealer sells them for 22.50 plus Tax as they won't come again from Bundeswehr Lots.
Don't buy the Repro ones. They're very well made, but the Fingers are much to long, so nearly nobody can wear them. Also the E-Tools went up with the Price, so if you can get one for 15 Euros, grab it. they're much more expensive now too ( +Tax) and I have to buy a Pack of 10.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994
Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #36
hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian 5 View Post
Here's a picture of a mannequin in a Heeresstruktur 2/HStru2 load out; circa 1959 - 1960.
The national flag was introduced in 1961, so it is a very nice 60´s loadout.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #37
Collectinsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
The old Style Gloves with the Wrist Strap are a real rare Item today. Still 2 Years ago I sold them for 7.50 incl. Taxes. Now a well known Wholesale Dealer sells them for 22.50 plus Tax as they won't come again from Bundeswehr Lots.
Don't buy the Repro ones. They're very well made, but the Fingers are much to long, so nearly nobody can wear them. Also the E-Tools went up with the Price, so if you can get one for 15 Euros, grab it. they're much more expensive now too ( +Tax) and I have to buy a Pack of 10.
I am not surprised to hear this. Items are cheap until the day after the supply runs out I got a couple of pairs about 20 years ago and probably paid more than EUR 7,50.

Steve

Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #38
Guardian 5

Cheers Frank, good observation.

All the best,

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover View Post
The national flag was introduced in 1961, so it is a very nice 60´s loadout.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #39
Guardian 5

Kameraden,

Here's my vote for best use of trigger finger mittens in an action photo.

Not a good look at the load-out I'm afraid, but the e-tool handle is just visible on the wearer's left hip.

All the best,
TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg museum.jpg (76.5 KB, 274 views)

Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
RedCatcher1986

TJ,

Quite a fine example of the Heer Panzergrenadier in action

Sincerely,
DeWayne

Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #41
Collectinsteve

Boy do I miss wood "furniture" on the G3. Beautiful look!

Steve

Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
Asbjoern
Association Member

Quote:
Boy do I miss wood "furniture" on the G3. Beautiful look!

Steve
I can proudly tell that I have two sets in place...

...and if there is a need I have at leat some reseve forshafts to part with...

Jens

Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #43
Forseti

Quote:

Steve

Hello@ll, Hello Steve!

Thats not 100% true. I had my service 1992 and 1993 and we had been issued with 3 Moleskinjacken each soldier.

One of mine 3 jackets had been that early pattern. And I was not the only one with that pattern. But you are right: The most issued items had been the later jacket. I assume that circa 20-30% of our Company had this early pattern in the Spind and wore it from time to time. However I loved THIS Jacket and wore it as often as possible. It is still in my possesion ; )

Cheers

Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #44
KapitaenSchwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1989 View Post
The simpler y-strap replaced the more complex one that Steve mentions in 1980s. The suspender-style ones were not very popular with at least some soldiers.
I don't know anyone who liked this 'new-style-thing'. Almost every one called it 'Koppelklappergestell'. I don't know how to translate this but it's more or less the opposite of the purpose it was designed for.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
Collectinsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Hello@ll, Hello Steve!

Thats not 100% true. I had my service 1992 and 1993 and we had been issued with 3 Moleskinjacken each soldier.

One of mine 3 jackets had been that early pattern.
For every rule there is an exception This is a big problem when trying to establish the timeframes for particular kit being used. It is a pretty safe bet to say that some soldier, in some unit, at some time was issued the "wrong" kit for the time period. Even kit that is strictly forbidden by newer regulations. It's inevitable.

When collectors try to figure out what timeframes things are used they can not use "statistical outliers" in the equation. Because then the answer is almost always decades after it was made. That's not very useful to collectors or for historians.

There's generally three accepted ways of documenting timeframes:

1. Strict manufacturing dates. Item is first produced X date, item is last produced Y date. No consideration for when the item is used.

2. Official regulations. Item is first accepted for use on Y date (even if 0% of soldiers have it yet) and last authorized on X date (even if 100% of the troops still use it on that date).

3. General timeframe. This is not scientific but mostly based on when the item is still commonly seen.

And of course they can be combined. BW Splittertarn is an excellent example. Combining all of the above the date is 1955 through mid 1960s. But for strict manufacturing it is 1956-1957, for official issue it is 1955-1959, for general timeframe it is 1956 through early 1960s. Which means the answer to the question "when was Splittertarn used?" does not have a single, simple answer.

To me the best answer is usually #2 with caveats as needed. For example, I usually answer people's questions about BW Splittertarn by saying "it was produced 1956-1957, officially dropped in 1959, and semi-officially used until the mid 1960s". It's a longer answer than some expect, but it is a more thorough one. Most of the time I don't bother with the thorough answers because nobody cares

Collecting is rarely straight forward

Steve