wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

DRK Cloth Insignia
Old 02-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
HPL2008
Association Member

Default DRK Cloth Insignia

Today, I would like to show some examples of cloth insignia of the post-war Deutsches Rotes Kreuz [German Red Cross] in the FRG. I have a modest collection of DRK-related items from various periods as find the subject interesting, partially because I was a DRK member myself from 1990 to 2007.

I really don't know if this is of much interest to the community here, but if there are other collectors of DRK-related material, they are welcome to contribute to this thread.

I have kept the descriptions brief, but I will be happy to answer any questions about these items (provided I know the answer ).

Old 02-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
HPL2008
Association Member

Various basic DRK patches.

The machine-woven, washable specimens are for wear with a variety of shirts, blouses, EMS-, work- and field uniforms. The specimens in metallic thread are for service dress. The types with gold/yellow lettering are older models; the ones with black lettering later ones.

Seen in the last photo are obsolete patches of the Bayerisches Rotes Kreuz (BRK); these were replaced by the standard DRK pattern long ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RK-Scheiben_DRK_waschbar.JPG (101.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg RK-Scheiben_DRK_DA_alt.JPG (119.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg RK-Scheiben_DRK_DA_neu.JPG (113.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg RK-Scheiben_BRK.JPG (108.0 KB, 117 views)

Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
HPL2008
Association Member

Two unofficial patches of the BRK. On the left is a very widespread EMS patch, on the right a patch for a volunteer unit from Oberstdorf. There are many such unofficial and semi-official patches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRK_Wappen.JPG (127.3 KB, 121 views)

Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
HPL2008
Association Member

Some armbands for a physician [Arzt], on-scene manager [Einsatzleiter] and the mountain rescue service [Bergwacht].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Armbinden_2_Bergwacht.JPG (115.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Armbinden_3_Einsatzleiter.JPG (108.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Armbinden_1_Arzt.JPG (81.1 KB, 119 views)

Old 02-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
HPL2008
Association Member

Various cuff titles, worn on the lower right sleeve. Specimens in metallic thread are for the grey- and later dark blue service dress, specimens in white/yellow thread are for wear on the old-model grey Einsatzanzug [work-/field uniform].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ärmelstreifen.JPG (165.3 KB, 118 views)

Old 02-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
HPL2008
Association Member

There is a variety of Fachdienstabzeichen [trade badges] of which there are, in turn, different varieties. To illustrate these, here is the trade badge for the Sanitätsdienst [medical service].

First photo: The patches in the top row are embroidered in metallic thread on felt-like material and are for wear with service dress; the ones in the bottom row are embroidered in white thread on twill-like material for wear on the old-model Einsatzanzug. The unpiped patch is the actual qualification patch, the aluminum cord denotes unit-level leaders, the gold cord leaders on district level and above.

Second photo: On the left, a large-size (80 mm) velcro-backed patch for wear on the red jacket of the new-model Einsatzanzug, on the right one patch form the first photo (55 mm) for scale reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fachdienstabzeichen_1_San.JPG (147.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Fachdienstabzeichen_2_San.JPG (110.7 KB, 118 views)

Drk
Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
saarkelte

Default Drk

Hallo
Ich bin auch DRK Sammler. Aber spezialisiere mich eher auf die Zeit vor 1945 und das Saarländische rote Kreuz bis 1957.
Danke für deine Beiträge die sind sehr interessant.

Gruss
Sascha

On-line translation added by moderator.

Hello
I am also a DRK collector. But I specialize more in the time before 1945 and the Saarland Red Cross until 1957.
Thanks for your contributions which are very interesting.

Greeting
Sascha

Last edited by Gordon Craig; 03-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Gordon Craig

I am deleting my earlier response as it should have been done via PM.

Last edited by Gordon Craig; 03-05-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
HPL2008
Association Member

Thanks for sharing your items!

I am not familiar with the first uniform. It appears to be identical to the Bundeswehr's model 1956 Kampfanzug [battle dress] (the infamous "Filzlaus") in cut and material and be a predecessor to the Einsatzanzug I have shown.

The second one is an older model of tunic. I have a copy of the 1965 uniform regulations where its is described as follows:
"Dienstrock (Blusenschnitt), einreihig, mit verdeckter Leiste, vier eingeschnittenen Taschen mit geknöpften Klappen, Liegekragen, offen und geschlossen zu tragen, Kragenspiegel aus weißgrauen Tuch mit rotem Kreuz aus Emaille, Ärmelabzeichen am linken Oberarm, Knöpfe silber- bzw. goldgekörnt."

["Service tunic (blouse cut), single-breasted, with concealed button front, four slash pockets with buttoned flaps, flat collar to be worn open or closed, collar patches of white-grey cloth with enamel Red Cross, sleeve badge on the left upper arm, pebbled silver or gold buttons."]
(The service tunic with patch pockets and displayed buttons was worn concurrently.)

The stripe on the lower left sleeve is not a rank badge, but a long service award. In 1970, these were discontinued and replaced by ribbon bars. I have done a little thread on this subject over on the WRF:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bundes...awards-717605/

The red cuff title on the last tunic is not for an instructor, but for a Rotkreuzbeauftragter [roughly translated "Red Cross Commissioner"]. This was the DRK officer responsible for civil defence- and disaster relief matters on district level.

Below are my two examples of the cuff title for this duty position. Note that these two and yours are all different. (Narrower models with "ROTKREUZ-BEAUFTRAGTER" on a black and a red ribbed band with Russia braid borders, wider model with "RK BEAUFTRAGTER" on a red non-ribbed band with embroidered borders.) Personally, I have only ever seen the black cuff title in wear. (It is possible that the red ones were not worn by the Bavarian Red Cross. Many DRK insignia are standardized throughout the country, but others are specific to individual state-level organisations.)

(Cuff titles for instructors can be seen in post # 5. "EH-AUSBILDER" is for a first aid instructor ("EH" = "Erste Hilfe), "AUSBILDER" is for other instructors (and also worn by first aid instructors in the BRK) and "AUSBILDER" in gold is for those holding the duty position of Instruktor. This is a senior instructor with supervisory authority over the other instructors.)

As for the cloth: This model of service dress uniform was available in three different textile qualities. The 1992 catalog of the BRK's procurement agency still listed it as available in Kammgarn-Twill [worsted yarn], so-called Sanitätstrikot [medical tricot] of pure new wool and Diolen-Serge [diolen-serge], a mix of artificial fibre and wool. The light-blue service shirt (long or short sleeve) was available in a 50/50 cotton/polyester blend and 100% cotton. (This was at a time when the uniform was already in the early stages of being phased out.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ärmelstreifen_RKB.JPG (143.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by HPL2008; 03-05-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
Gordon Craig

HPL2008,

Thanks very much for your detailed response. Almost no information on post war German Red Cross is available here in North America. I will have to amend my inventory using your information.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Gordon Craig

Gentlemen,
Now on to more uniforms from my collection.

The first one is a woman's tunic that appears to be from the Bayerisches DRK. Another tunic that is quite different from the post war DRK that one sees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08559.JPG (116.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08550.JPG (176.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08555.JPG (210.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08557.JPG (159.0 KB, 83 views)