wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Old Today, 11:47 AM   #286
Woolgar
Association Member

Anyway however divisive the film has been its certainly made an impact on many....including all my friends, family and colleagues ( all non military geeks)

They all loved it for what is was and it has for them stirred an interest in wanting to learn more about Dunkirk and WW2

They are asking me lots of questions about how it all started , what happened next ....etc

If nothing else it has woken more people up to an incredible time in History

Old Today, 11:48 AM   #287
Biber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenhead View Post

I left the cinema completely bored and with no emotion what so ever
Seriously, you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy when the Elgar music started up? You must be stone, man!

Old Today, 11:50 AM   #288
Totenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolgar View Post
Anyway however divisive the film has been its certainly made an impact on many....including all my friends, family and colleagues ( all non military geeks)

They all loved it for what is was and it has for them stirred an interest in wanting to learn more about Dunkirk and WW2

They are asking me lots of questions about how it all started , what happened next ....etc

If nothing else it has woken more people up to an incredible time in History
Ok, I suppose that's a Bonus !

I am off to Dunkirk again over the bank holiday weekend.

I did read that for the making of the film, they rebuilt a part of the eastern mole, is it still there ?

Old Today, 11:53 AM   #289
Totenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biber View Post
Seriously, you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy when the Elgar music started up? You must be stone, man!
I am Welsh !

I admit I did a little, but there was no need for that was there ? In my opinion it devalued the importance of the event.

Dunkirk was not a victory

Old Today, 11:53 AM   #290
Woolgar
Association Member

Quote:
Ok, I suppose that's a Bonus !

I am off to Dunkirk again over the bank holiday weekend.

I did read that for the making of the film, they rebuilt a part of the eastern mole, is it still there ?

Not sure, but I must plan a visit sometime too

Old Today, 11:56 AM   #291
Totenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolgar View Post
Not sure, but I must plan a visit sometime too
You must Nick
I have walked those beaches from one end to the other back in 2015 during the 75th Anniversary
I have stood next to the wreck of the MV Crested Eagle where so many poor souls burnt a horrible death

Its sobering being on those beaches

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32867934

This article is not quite accurate

This is accurate
http://dunkirk1940.org/index.php?&p=1_258

I had drinks with Mr Viner

The 'Crested Eagle' was a wooden Thames paddle steamer. At 6pm on the 28th May 1940, the vessel had 600 troops aboard as she left her mooring on the Dunkirk Mole. She came under immediate attack from German dive bombers and was quickly hit and set alight. To save as many lives as possible, the captain turned the vessel towards the shore and beached the blazing ship at Zuydcoote, east of Dunkirk. However, around 300 soldiers and crew perished in the inferno. At low water, the remains of the burnt out hull can still be seen today

If the director did indeed want to add emotion and reality to the movie, why didn't he include that ?........

Last edited by Totenhead; Today at 12:04 PM.

Old Today, 12:08 PM   #292
Biber

Quote:
I am Welsh !

I admit I did a little, but there was no need for that was there ? In my opinion it devalued the importance of the event.

Dunkirk was not a victory
A cheap affect, VERY CHEAP, for sure. Up until that point I almost would have been willing to give a little appreciation to the director's "artsy" approach. But then came the cheap tugging at the heartstrings that turned it all into a sappy afterschool Hallmark movie special. Branaugh didn't help it any either.

Old Today, 12:11 PM   #293
Totenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biber View Post
A cheap affect, VERY CHEAP, for sure. Up until that point I almost would have been willing to give a little appreciation to the director's "artsy" approach. But then came the cheap tugging at the heartstrings that turned it all into a sappy afterschool Hallmark movie special. Branaugh didn't help it any either.

I think what the director meant when he said he wanted it to appeal to " modern cinema audiences " is that they all live in a fantasy world, perhaps one could say the " computer game " generation.

Dunkirk was no fantasy