wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old Today, 11:47 AM   #286
Woolgar
Association Member
 
Woolgar's Avatar
 
Woolgar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jorvik
Posts: 9,571
Default

Anyway however divisive the film has been its certainly made an impact on many....including all my friends, family and colleagues ( all non military geeks)

They all loved it for what is was and it has for them stirred an interest in wanting to learn more about Dunkirk and WW2

They are asking me lots of questions about how it all started , what happened next ....etc

If nothing else it has woken more people up to an incredible time in History
__________________
"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem
  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 11:48 AM   #287
Biber
Member
 
Biber is online now
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Coast
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenhead View Post

I left the cinema completely bored and with no emotion what so ever
Seriously, you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy when the Elgar music started up? You must be stone, man!
  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 11:50 AM   #288
Totenhead
Member
 
Totenhead's Avatar
 
Totenhead is online now
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 4,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolgar View Post
Anyway however divisive the film has been its certainly made an impact on many....including all my friends, family and colleagues ( all non military geeks)

They all loved it for what is was and it has for them stirred an interest in wanting to learn more about Dunkirk and WW2

They are asking me lots of questions about how it all started , what happened next ....etc

If nothing else it has woken more people up to an incredible time in History
Ok, I suppose that's a Bonus !

I am off to Dunkirk again over the bank holiday weekend.

I did read that for the making of the film, they rebuilt a part of the eastern mole, is it still there ?

  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 11:53 AM   #289
Totenhead
Member
 
Totenhead's Avatar
 
Totenhead is online now
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 4,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biber View Post
Seriously, you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy when the Elgar music started up? You must be stone, man!
I am Welsh !

I admit I did a little, but there was no need for that was there ? In my opinion it devalued the importance of the event.

Dunkirk was not a victory
  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 11:53 AM   #290
Woolgar
Association Member
 
Woolgar's Avatar
 
Woolgar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jorvik
Posts: 9,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenhead View Post
Ok, I suppose that's a Bonus !

I am off to Dunkirk again over the bank holiday weekend.

I did read that for the making of the film, they rebuilt a part of the eastern mole, is it still there ?

Not sure, but I must plan a visit sometime too
__________________
"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem
  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 11:56 AM   #291
Totenhead
Member
 
Totenhead's Avatar
 
Totenhead is online now
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 4,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolgar View Post
Not sure, but I must plan a visit sometime too
You must Nick
I have walked those beaches from one end to the other back in 2015 during the 75th Anniversary
I have stood next to the wreck of the MV Crested Eagle where so many poor souls burnt a horrible death

Its sobering being on those beaches


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32867934

This article is not quite accurate

This is accurate
http://dunkirk1940.org/index.php?&p=1_258

I had drinks with Mr Viner

The 'Crested Eagle' was a wooden Thames paddle steamer. At 6pm on the 28th May 1940, the vessel had 600 troops aboard as she left her mooring on the Dunkirk Mole. She came under immediate attack from German dive bombers and was quickly hit and set alight. To save as many lives as possible, the captain turned the vessel towards the shore and beached the blazing ship at Zuydcoote, east of Dunkirk. However, around 300 soldiers and crew perished in the inferno. At low water, the remains of the burnt out hull can still be seen today

If the director did indeed want to add emotion and reality to the movie, why didn't he include that ?........

Last edited by Totenhead; Today at 12:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 12:08 PM   #292
Biber
Member
 
Biber is online now
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Coast
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenhead View Post
I am Welsh !

I admit I did a little, but there was no need for that was there ? In my opinion it devalued the importance of the event.

Dunkirk was not a victory
A cheap affect, VERY CHEAP, for sure. Up until that point I almost would have been willing to give a little appreciation to the director's "artsy" approach. But then came the cheap tugging at the heartstrings that turned it all into a sappy afterschool Hallmark movie special. Branaugh didn't help it any either.
  Reply With Quote

Old Today, 12:11 PM   #293
Totenhead
Member
 
Totenhead's Avatar
 
Totenhead is online now
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 4,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biber View Post
A cheap affect, VERY CHEAP, for sure. Up until that point I almost would have been willing to give a little appreciation to the director's "artsy" approach. But then came the cheap tugging at the heartstrings that turned it all into a sappy afterschool Hallmark movie special. Branaugh didn't help it any either.


I think what the director meant when he said he wanted it to appeal to " modern cinema audiences " is that they all live in a fantasy world, perhaps one could say the " computer game " generation.

Dunkirk was no fantasy
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (3 members and 2 guests)
Biber, jacquesf, Russellh
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com