wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Japanese Militaria Forum

Japanese Militaria Forum All Japanese Militaria

NCO sword question
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Hellcat1944

Default NCO sword question

Hello all,
I know that japanese nco swords are ranked among the bottom as far as collectibility goes. However, there are those who collect them enthusiastically because they are affordable compared to the signed swords.
All(?) nco swords are factory made and have arsenal marks and serial numbers. My 2 question are this: If all things were considered EQUAL,as best as can be determined, between two swords;
1) Would where the sword was manufactured (arsenal) affect the value of the sword. Are there more desirable arsenals to collect??
2) Does a lower serial number affect value? Would a three digit number be more desirable then a 5 digit number?

Thank you for any input!!

Mike

Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Stu W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat1944 View Post
Hello all,
I know that japanese nco swords are ranked among the bottom as far as collectibility goes. However, there are those who collect them enthusiastically because they are affordable compared to the signed swords.
All(?) nco swords are factory made and have arsenal marks and serial numbers. My 2 question are this: If all things were considered EQUAL,as best as can be determined, between two swords;
1) Would where the sword was manufactured (arsenal) affect the value of the sword. Are there more desirable arsenals to collect??
2) Does a lower serial number affect value? Would a three digit number be more desirable then a 5 digit number?

Thank you for any input!!

Mike
Hi Mike,

No and Yes in that order.

Arsenals were few and examples from each can be located. Lower serial number blades are found with earlier brass tsuba so tend to command a slightly higher price however not by much. The exception being the earliest version with copper tsuka. The later issue side latch with iron tsuba is actually less often encountered and commands a bit of a premium too.

Regards,
Stu
(Enthusiastic collector of Type 95 NCO swords)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 95 tsuka overview.JPG (160.0 KB, 320 views)

Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
GeorgeP

I would mostly echo what Stu said, however, I think that as the years go on, those who are devoted to the NCO will want to start to collect (may have already started to collect?) all known stamped variations of the sword and some may command higher prices than others after awhile. I believe that the fuchi stamp with the "sakura K" is one that is a little more scarce than others, at least that is what my experience has been and what my NCO numbers sheet shows when compared to the manuf. numbers of other variations of fuchi stamped NCOs. Just MO.

Tom

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Hellcat1944

Gentlemen,
I thank you both for your input.

Mike

Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
RussellM

Hey Stu, nice bunch of NCO's you've got there. Love the original knots as well!

Regards

Russ

Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
gunto

I collected the nco's once ,but got tired of them. Nice quality , but.....sold them.
A early with thick brass tsuba and original knot with buckle( bourght for 150 usd in 1988)
A near mint with iron tsuba and original knot.
A side latch version.
Last ditch wood handle version.
It was my plan too get all types and versions ,but my interest turned to the navy and found a nice 1883 navy with an old blade in mint condition .
The nco's was sold to buy the navy sword.

Happy collecting

NCO Sword
Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Steve Flanagan
Lifetime Member

Default NCO Sword

Be sure and be aware of all the current Chinese and Pakistani fakes and what gives them away, they are getting better and better.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Stu W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellM View Post
Hey Stu, nice bunch of NCO's you've got there. Love the original knots as well!

Regards

Russ
Thanks Russ,

I've kept one good example of each variation along the way and they make a nice wall display. I've not yet found either of a copper or wood tsuka version in good enough shape to add into the mix but sooner or later one will come my way.

Regards,
Stu

Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Stu W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunto View Post
I collected the nco's once ,but got tired of them. Nice quality , but.....sold them.
A early with thick brass tsuba and original knot with buckle( bourght for 150 usd in 1988)
A near mint with iron tsuba and original knot.
A side latch version.
Last ditch wood handle version.
It was my plan too get all types and versions ,but my interest turned to the navy and found a nice 1883 navy with an old blade in mint condition .
The nco's was sold to buy the navy sword.

Happy collecting

Those were indeed the good old days when you could get a matched early piece with buckle style knot for that kind of money.

My primary interest is in Yasukunito but I'm not adverse to picking up a good 95 when the occasion arises.

Regards,
Stu

Old 05-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Stu W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
Be sure and be aware of all the current Chinese and Pakistani fakes and what gives them away, they are getting better and better.
This is certainly good advice, as always, from Steve. I've seen some very convincing reproductions.

Regards,
Stu

Re-visiting
Old 05-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
zook
Association Member

Default Re-visiting

I am relatively new to this forum (was a member a long time ago), but found this thread interesting, from a "historical" viewpoint. Since starting to collect Japanese Military swords just a few years ago, I find the NCO swords to be a solid starting point for easing into the field, but the starting price for a solid NCO was about 700.00 USD, and now of course it can be higher.

Some increased popularity …. leading to increased $$$$ …. leading to increased fakes

Dan

Old 05-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
nickn
Association Member

Luckily the fakes are still not very good

Old 05-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
zook
Association Member

Mike - “maybe”
I think your questions are a bit subjective, based on the personality, drive of each collector. It’s true that it is harder to find some arsenal swords over others, and that can impact prices (as I have seen), ... not so much serial number, but all factors are rarely equal - meaning you have to take into account the condition of the sword. Sure, all things being equal, a copper handle sword with a very low serial number is probably going to command a much higher price that a 4 or 5 digit serial number. However, if you have a very common aluminum handle sword that is in near MINT condition, it is gonna command a significantly higher price (for that category of sword). I personally place condition and matching serial numbers as my prerogative in determining what is “valuable” to me, but it’s only my opinion and all collectors are different. I love collecting NCO swords, but I also collect Kai Gunto and other things my opinion is just that - opinions of an aging collector. I don’t pursue all maker’s marks and variants - just a sampling. Cheers, Dan