wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite firearm of WWII? (not "favorite caliber!")
Walther (PP, PPK or P38) 101 7.98%
Mauser Kar98k (sniper variations as well) 198 15.64%
Stg44/MP44/3 417 32.94%
PPsh41/PPsh42 60 4.74%
Browning Hi-Power 43 3.40%
M1 Garand 152 12.01%
Colt 1911a1 74 5.85%
Luger, P08 163 12.88%
K/G43 80 6.32%
MP38/MP40 (and later varients) 248 19.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1266. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite WWII Weapons?
Old 08-16-2002, 11:51 AM   #1
Matt Weber

Default Favorite WWII Weapons?

I saw this thread on another forum, and thought it would be good to ask it hear. What is your favorite weapon of WWII?

It can be any type, from any country. I'll list mine later, since I need to think about it further!

Matt

Old 08-16-2002, 01:10 PM   #2
JaimeH

Favorite as far as esthetically pleasing or 10 bad guys are shooting at me and I need a good weapon to defend myself with favorite? I'll do the latter:

M1 Garand - Hands down
Thompson 45
Springfield 03
Mauser 98
G43

Machine guns:
MG 34 - 42
US 50 caliper

Pistol:
P-38
.45 (2nd only because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the last time I shot a .45)

Coolest looking:
MP 38 - 40

Old 08-16-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
Gene
Lifetime Member

MG42, the best small arm of the Second World War

Old 08-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #4
Doug See

If I had to stake my life on the weapon:

pistol: 1911A1

rifle: M1

subgun: Thompson (I know...the gun and ammo's heavy)

LMG: MG42

To me...
Old 08-17-2002, 02:01 PM   #5
Douglas Jr.

Thumbs up To me...

My favorites are:

Side gun (pistol) - Browning HP35 (I love the P-38, but in combat 5 shots more can make difference...)

Infantry weapon - StG 44 (sorry, but the M1 Garand isn´t a match for it )

and...back-up gun - Walther PPK

That´s it.

Douglas

Old 08-17-2002, 03:33 PM   #6
Matt Weber

All right, I've given it some thought, and broke them down into groups as follows:

Pistol- Definately the Walter P38! Doug the 1911a1 is nice and reliable, but too bad you can't hit anything with it!
The P38 is just awesome. Reliable, easy to use, held 9 rounds, looks great, and you can hit what you aim at!
It was the first double action pistol in military service, and influenced many designs that we still see today!

Infantry rifle- tough choice as there are many good ones. The Fg42 is probably my favorite, but my overall choice goes to the Stg44! It is the father of all modern military assault rifles. It was cheap, accurate, and totally impervious to the elements!

Machine gun- Definately the MG42 It was just beautiful in that it was amazingly effective, and reliable. This gun caused great fear among allied infantry, and just the sound of it, made men drop to the ground! This gun is still seen in service today as the MG3, and has influence many other guns such as our own M60, MP5, and other guns that used the same type of action.

Tank- Definately hands down, The Tiger tank! No other tank achieve a combat kill ratio like the Tiger did. No other tank caused such fear in the hearts of its enemies. And no other tank is so well known as a "household" name as the Tiger.

Aircraft- Toss up between two of the greatest! The Me-262, and the B-29. both of these aircraft were state of the art. Both of them also quite litterally changed the world!

Ships- The US Essex class aircraft carrier, hands down! This ship dominated the war in the Pacific. It took the war right to the heart of the enemy and crushed them! While the US battleship fleet was sitting at the bottom of Pearl Harbor, the US carriers saved the world! No Essex class carrier was ever lost during the war!

Matt

Old 08-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #7
Doug See

Oh no....! My co-moderator has started the .45 auto versus 9mm debate!!!!!!!

Matt....my friend.....fellow member....:o

The 1911 had a reputation for being inaccurate because the average GI didn't practice much with it and was taught to shoot one handed like a cavalryman (for which the pistol was originally designed).

In practice, the 1911 was a better man stopper as proven many times in WWI, WWII, and Vietnam than any 9mm. At combat ranges, it is every bit as accurate as a P38. In fact, I'll bet the first shot is ALWAYS more accurate, considering the fact that the P38 has a horrible double action pull for the first shot, versus the cleaner lighter pull of the single action cocked and locked .45. An out of the box Guvmint .45 would hold a 6" group at 50 yards if fired by a qualified individual. That's accurate enough. Accurized military .45's would easily do 3" at 50 yards. (I know...they didn't use National Match guns on the lines)

P38's are well designed and well made pistols (even though many were made by prison labor...) and sexy as heck.
But...just my own preference, but I'd much rather have a stock 1911A1 in my holster than a P38.

Last edited by Doug See; 08-17-2002 at 05:39 PM.

Old 08-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #8
Matt Weber

Doug,

I didn't start a 9mm vs. .45 debate at all! Please read my original posting above. No where in it did I even mention 9mm or .45!?
Not sure where you got that from?

I simply stated that the P38 is preferred to the 1911a1. This has NOTHING to do with the caliber of the weapon!

Matt

PS- I did get a good chuckle out of your postings though!

Last edited by Matt Weber; 12-15-2003 at 04:47 PM.

Old 08-17-2002, 10:03 PM   #9
Doug See

Matt,
Heck, 5" to 6" at 30 yards with a stock 1911 is easy. Maybe I'm being a little ambitious on the 50 yard measurement, but you're sure going to be able to hit a man sized torso at 50 yds. with a decent issue guvmint. (Or at least I used to before my eyes became middle aged....)

How many P38's, even "accurized" have you seen at Camp Perry since WW2?

I agree with you on the 9mm round. It's a great round, with plenty of stopping power----as long as it's in a submachine gun when you can "spray and pray".

Seriously, I wouldn't want to be downrange of either a 9mm P38 or a .45 1911. I may be opinionated, but I'm not stupid (or at least not THAT stupid...).

Old 08-17-2002, 11:00 PM   #10
Greg S
Lifetime Member

Sorry Doug I would have to go with the 9mm, but I wouldn't want to be down range of either one either.

The PPK, MP-40, MG-42, and the P-38. I would rather have a Lugar but I have heard to many stories about the weapon jamming. IMHO

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Old 08-18-2002, 08:07 AM   #11
Matt Weber

Doug,

I'm not trying to down the .45 round or create a comparison of the 9mm to the .45 ACP. They are both good rounds.
I am just stating that the P38 is far superior to the 1911a1 in every aspect. If the P38 fired a .45 and the 1911a1 fired 9mm, the P38 would still be superior! The .45 round itself can be very accurate, when fired from a decent gun like a Kimber, H&K or even the .45 luger!

50 yards would be impressive for any military issued sidearm! However I wouldn't even shoot my pistol in combat at a target at 50 yards! You must be the exception. We'll have to go shooting together so I can see this for myself.
Let me know when You want to go! I'm free this Thursday.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Weber; 12-15-2003 at 04:49 PM.

Old 08-18-2002, 09:47 AM   #12
Greg S
Lifetime Member

I've had this debate with my father and there weren't any winners he swears by the .45 and me by the 9mm. I would love to see the .45 at fifty yards, now that is some shooting. I do like the knock down punch of the .45 and have compromised with an HK USP 40cal s/w. Best of both worlds.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Old 08-18-2002, 10:25 AM   #13
Doug See

Matt,
It's true one needs to practice with a 1911, and because it uses a linked barrel and a slide, it's not as inherently accurate as a Luger or a P-39. But, it is plenty accurate enough for combat. Tuned up (barrel lugs fitted and barrel bushing tightened up), it's much more accurate than even a tuned P38 or Luger (if there is such a thing). Because the .45 uses a 230 grain bullet, versus, say 110 to 140 grains for a 9mm, it usually can travel more distance with better residual energy than a 9mm. That's why I feel pretty good about it at 50 yards. You have to aim a little above the head, but it hits center of mass out there if you keep the sights aligned on center.

There's a nice range west of Atlanta off I-20 out near the Alabama border, with 7, 25, 50, and 100 yard targets. I'll bring an Argentine stock issue Model 1927 (1911A1) and a Gold Cup with a fitted match barrel. Both will hit a torso target at 50 yards, EVEN with me shooting (and that's not saying a lot). What time Thursday?

Last edited by Doug See; 08-18-2002 at 10:39 AM.

Old 08-18-2002, 10:27 AM   #14
John Hodgin

Hello all,

Since Fallschirmjaeger is my focus in WW II history and collecting, my favorite weapon has to be the MP-38. Perfect side arm for a 1940 era paratrooper. It's a handsome, well tooled machine; much sharper in finish than an MP-40. The 'fluted' receiver, aluminum grip, deep blue finish, and all parts numbered, just "does it" for me.

As to the slant this thread has taken; my dad, a WW II veteran, has always sworn by the punch of the .45. I've always felt the P-38 was one the best pistols made, and I can shoot it very accurately, not so with the .45. However, I know guys that win matches with .45's. If you are in law enforcement or the military, and find yourself up against an adversary in body armor 9mm shouldn't be your ammo. Like ranger, I too settled on the H&K USP .40 S&W as a personal weapon; it shoots like a dream and hits very hard.... Have a friend in Special Forces, they switched to the USP several years ago..

Best,
John

Old 08-19-2002, 07:54 PM   #15
Matt Weber

John,

I totally agree with you! I never stated anything about stopping power of the .45. It does have that! That is a lot of lead! But the accuracy of a gov. 1911 is not good. That's just the facts. As for modern rounds. I believe the .40S&W and the .357Sig are the best all around purpose rounds out there today. Both the 9mm and the .45 are outdated I'm afraid.

Also you are dead wrong about the ballistics of the .45! True it does have more powder than that 9mm, but it is a much larger round! Its speed is far slower than the 9mm, and therefore would drop much quicker, and have far less range! The 9mm is a smaller round with fast velocity, and therefore travels at a flatter tragetory, which adds to the accuracy! There is a reason why the 9mm is the most popular round in the world!

Doug I can see this matter will not be resolved. You love your 1911 and I love my Walthers. That's fine with me.
I still would love to see a 5" group at 50 yards though with one! I told a couple of guys at work this story, and they about fell on the ground laughing! One guy even asked me if you had yards confused with feet!?? do you?

Matt

Last edited by Matt Weber; 12-15-2003 at 04:52 PM.