wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
me6_130
Association Member

I once had a bayo I thought was good...Experts in this forum told me it was not and I accepted their opinion as I was not an expert and had requested their thoughts. If you want to ignore what you have been told here you are free to do so, but just compare the two stamps and decide: In those two links you posted one stated the buttsock was bad and the other shows the second stamp. I have attached "your" buttstock in the first pic: you can see the eagle is different, the "fours" are different and the three letter code letters look quite good but are not exactly the same...

Carles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57b.jpg (43.7 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg H3925-L42570792.jpg (149.1 KB, 494 views)

Last edited by me6_130; 12-29-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
NORDLAND1

thank you guys for the answer and the pics!
when he means that these stocks are original so he can buy it all .

mg42rip - this is a absolutly famous collection of stocks.really nice!!!
can you tell me what are the producer?when you want write me a PM.

Kindest Regards NORDLAND

Old 12-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
mg34/s

Ok thanks

No i am definetly Not the seller and i am also Not good at woodwork..

I only wanted to have your opinion and no jokes.

Thank you for reply.

Good evening

Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Patty D
Association Member

Well if you're the seller or not, you got some great information/opinions, mg42rip clearly shows the difference, so don't waste your money on one of these repros! No matter how nice they are, they'll ALWAYS be a repro!!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
My66coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg42rip View Post
Here is a picture of one of these stocks next to 3 originals. You can clearly see the dowel location is about 3/8 of an inch to far towards the gun. Also the thumb hook is completely WRONG and no originals look like this. The other picture shows how the top of the stock is much thinner than the originals. I am not an expert but i do have 28 years experience as a machinist and i can also show you how the stamps are completely different as well if you like. The one i have cost me 75.00 AS A REPRO.
Ed M.
Amazing collection! Thanks to all for the information. It seems like a very debatable topic, with very little information available online. For a new, younger collector, it is very difficult to get in the right circles to obtain this knowledge. My 42 kit came with an austrian, green, bakelite stock. I have since replaced it with a black, post-war, bakelite and an "authentic" WW2 hvg 44 stock. I've had my doubts about this stock. It was purchased 10+ years ago from a reputable MG42 parts supplier (RTG). I purchased it recently and have been trying to figure out its legitimacy. The shape is definitely not the blocky Yugo type. It has been sanded a great amount by the previous owner. It has wood dowels on the fin, that are installed at opposing 45* angles...not straight down into the stock like most I see. It bares a very faint Waffen and the remains of the 4 from the WaA34. hvg is hard to make out but the 44 is very crips. It also has a vertical 4 digit serial number. The numbers are much smaller and appear to be a different font from the Yugo type. It does have a German Cup, and appears to be all german hardware internally. There is no wire wrap, band or evidence it ever had one... The long cross bolt is not serialed like you see on most yugo stocks. Was this a true German stock, reisused by the Bundeswehr and given the serial? A painted yugo that was sanded revealing its German history?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
My66coupe

Old 12-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg34/s View Post
Close
With all due respect I see no reason to delete or close this thread. As long as it remains civil without getting personal, the information presented here is very useful to the collecting community. I hope you understand.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

"Those who stand for nothing fall for everything." - Alexander Hamilton

Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
My66coupe

anyone?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #24
Ferdinand W.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORDLAND1 View Post
i have the feeling that you are the seller.
possible you hope that you get infos to make it better?
what experts mean that this stocks are good one?
the stocks looks good for a repro.

NG NORDLAND
I´m almost 100% sure that you are right with your statement !!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #25
NORDLAND1

Quote:
Originally Posted by My66coupe View Post
anyone?
Your stock looks good for me.its an original mg42 stock.
you has buyed it by Gunbroker or not? o.k. when the stock is a bit worked but that is not so fatal.it looks still good.
the number "3770" is postwar and was stamped possible in a yugoslavia or another postwar arsenal.
you can treat it with oil (Ballistol) or another oil for wood.then you get a good optics.

Kindest Regards NORDLAND

Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #26
My66coupe

Quote:
Your stock looks good for me.its an original mg42 stock.
you has buyed it by Gunbroker or not? o.k. when the stock is a bit worked but that is not so fatal.it looks still good.
the number "3770" is postwar and was stamped possible in a yugoslavia or another postwar arsenal.
you can treat it with oil (Ballistol) or another oil for wood.then you get a good optics.

Kindest Regards NORDLAND

Thank you for your assessment! I plan on putting a coat of boiled linseed oil on it one of these days. Is that appropriate? Yes this was for sale on Gunbroker a few months ago, and happened to be in the same city as mine. After inspecting in person, I bought it. I paid a premium, but I NEVER see these for sale....

Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #27
Patty D
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand W. View Post
I´m almost 100% sure that you are right with your statement !!

I agree. He also hasn't commented since... but the thing is, he hasn't managed to get some good reviews on his stocks, only make us more aware that THEY ARE fakes being made and that they are out there, so be careful when buying!!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #28
NORDLAND1

Quote:
Originally Posted by My66coupe View Post
Thank you for your assessment! I plan on putting a coat of boiled linseed oil on it one of these days. Is that appropriate? Yes this was for sale on Gunbroker a few months ago, and happened to be in the same city as mine. After inspecting in person, I bought it. I paid a premium, but I NEVER see these for sale....
yes,original mg42 stocks are very expensive.but when you want a original stock you must pay the price.
and when you want a complete original mg42 then you must have a original stock.
i have never worked with boiled linsed oil.but i dont would take this oil.that is only my own opinion! so i have read you get with this oil a glossy surface!?i would take ballistol.so you have a natural wooden surface and this looks better and is protected.possible other members can write their opinions.

NG NORDLAND

Old 01-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
Haubentaucher

Quote:
yes,original mg42 stocks are very expensive.but when you want a original stock you must pay the price.
and when you want a complete original mg42 then you must have a original stock.
i have never worked with boiled linsed oil.but i dont would take this oil.that is only my own opinion! so i have read you get with this oil a glossy surface!?i would take ballistol.so you have a natural wooden surface and this looks better and is protected.possible other members can write their opinions.

NG NORDLAND
Nordland, linseed oil was the standart oil used for protecting wooden stocks in the German armed forces before the war. During the war it got scarce, so other alternatives were taken. But you have to mix the linseed oil with terpentin-oil (Terpentinöl) in a proportion 33% linseed to 66% real Terpentinöl.
Regards

Old 01-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #30
NORDLAND1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haubentaucher View Post
Nordland, linseed oil was the standart oil used for protecting wooden stocks in the German armed forces before the war. During the war it got scarce, so other alternatives were taken. But you have to mix the linseed oil with terpentin-oil (Terpentinöl) in a proportion 33% linseed to 66% real Terpentinöl.
Regards
Hi Haubentaucher.Thank you for the info.so i have learned new stuff.has you the information from a book or has you a link?

NG NORDLAND