wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Helmet Theft at The Max 2012
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
John T
Forum Sponsor

Default Helmet Theft at The Max 2012

This helmet pictured in Pickehauben by Erich Johansson, 1982 was stolen from the Max show this year. It belongs to my friend Gary Viskupic. He brought it to show to another collector. He placed it in a bag under his table prior to leaving the show for the night on Thursday Oct. 4th (this was dealer set-up day) and when he returned Friday morning the helmet was gone. A police report was filed on Friday and I can supply the contact info of the police officer as well as Gary's info to anybody who has any information. I may be contacted via PM.

Thanks,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garyhelmet_2.jpg (71.4 KB, 3598 views)

Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
John T
Forum Sponsor

Pictured in this book:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garyhelmetbook_2.jpg (77.8 KB, 3576 views)

Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
DougB

That's very discouraging some PRK wold do such a thing. A killer helmet like this won't stay silent. Hopefully it isnt overseas now.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
SSamir

They should pin this thread until the helmet is recovered.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Ron P
Association Member

What a shame. That's like stealing a van Gogh. You can never show it in the collector world. Eventually someone will recognize it. Stupid.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Michael L

I've read about the overnight thefts before. A whole case was stolen once. I guess they need a cage they can assemble to put their stuff in at night.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
cglcollectibles

That is really scary when you think about how much stuff you leave behind overnight. I did the show a few times and always pulled my key pieces each night for the ride back to the hotel room. Someone had to have scoped out that helmet and saw him put it under the table. I hope maybe somebody saw something.
Was the Max Promotions crew helpful at all ? What happened with the security and cameras? Funny how you never hear of theft from the "big name" dealers.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
juoneen
Expelled

This is a normal happening at most big shows (ask ed stark, as he has his fingers on the pulse ). You guys with modern technology available , can't figure out any way to put a few hidden devices to assist on wildlife that may happen by tables after the show shutdown is done by youas a seller??, and I'm sure the results will surprise many here at who is going to be candidly detected.So.. Fellows , it one of the main reasons shows are not secure....all shows should have devices also to double up, and so why isn't this done for the small investment , and the big return yet many carry tens of thousands of dollars ofmerchandise, and not one seller has any "devices" .........winkwink....lets see if at least a few get together over some imbibement who are tired of the LACK, and work together to cover their own areas....and then when there is something tangible in hand... have no quarter with the facts collected, take no prisoners excuses, and it is one of two, I garrr an TEA...1. someone leaving after you left , and were watching you as you did so, grabbed the bag, put it under another table there (then left without it)(removed the next day when show is busy)or in a bag or box right then if few were paying attention to know who is who relevent to their tables),and nochallantly cool and calculated ... walked out right under securitys noses ...with it right behind you as you left. All things taken out by folks should be photod with the person taking them out on a hand held video and name and table number stated(or like costco, purchased things need receipts before removing items purchased, or 2. its got to do with nightime security, and something they do or colude to do ....Let me put it this way.....does anybody here watch baitcar?No...only cheaters??? This not having devices by promoters in our country with all the goings on from many past losses, with all the jack they take in ....is actually somewhat negligent.(,and the small investment ,wouldnt need to be purchased but once ) anybody have any disagreement, or agrement , but it doesnt matter, Ive plan, and not paid for by adding even 1 cent to the table fee)I have now planted the seed , maybe its best left undiscussed, and somebody take the reins on their own...there are a few that could make using their every day devices they use in their careers in this type of work, and ask a percentage of what he keeps others from losing or of what he can recover. ....or is it every man for himself as i suggest, and we need to take care of ourselves using our own grey matter with lots of folds , agreen stuff in our private treasureys, and think of the entertaining result the perpetraitors will never live down ,of posting such videos here after they have been to see the judge, and sentenced . Man its gonna be EVEN Better than TV It would be ...huuummm??? . Seed is planted , now somebody may just buy the farm as a collector, or even dealer. Wouldn't be suprised if it weren't someone who frequents here you think is a friend.... you may even have done business with...regardless...good luck mr phelps...and ten seconds after my words stop,... this thread will self destruct...its all down hill from here on ...no need for another loss ever again.(I wouldnt involve more than two I's on this, in order to get best results, and not tip em off they may get to meet alan funts son someday and be famous on you tube..

Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Michael L

Good idea, video cameras- hidden or obvious -have busted a lot of people and kept a lot more honest.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
sszza2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglcollectibles View Post
Was the Max Promotions crew helpful at all ? What happened with the security and cameras?
Excellent questions! Regardless of any release signed by dealers during registration - facilities and promoters can be held liable for advertising what amounts to the "illusion of security". Happens all the time when "illusions" are proven as such. Suggest that the victim contact the person represented as the MAX Security Chief to disclose measures in place. I am sure the collecting community would be curious to know what they are.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

What a shame...I would be very wary of leaving my table there overnight...didn't one of the guards poach some items a few years back?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Vid
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sszza2 View Post
Excellent questions! Regardless of any release signed by dealers during registration - facilities and promoters can be held liable for advertising what amounts to the "illusion of security". Happens all the time when "illusions" are proven as such. Suggest that the victim contact the person represented as the MAX Security Chief to disclose measures in place. I am sure the collecting community would be curious to know what they are.
I went in on wednesday and the dealers were allowed to unload but not set up, they had what appeared to be 2 armed guards and overnight security. Would not make like light of a stolen helmet but quite possibly stolen during show hours and you cant be everywhere.

Its unfortunate but seems to be at least one case at every show.

Kris

Last edited by Vid; 10-10-2012 at 10:42 AM.

max
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
MAUSER99

Default max

I see the pined thread from a few years ago is now gone... Was it two of three mint helmets stolen from a dealer ??? I guess we need to post another.. Sorry to hear this.. I think its the same Gary form NY I know..
A cammo ear cutout isnt gonna be easy to hide..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

I heard about that loss. Sucks!! Someone was obviously watching and must have loitered after the table holder was gone for the night. I doubt it was taken during the night, or the next morning.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

ALL members can now post photos (10 per post), so posting off-site hosted photos is now forbidden. Off-site photos and/ or threads can now be deleted without notice.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
cglcollectibles

Now you know why some people have a small cart and wheel a few storage boxes full of stuff in and out each night. It is safer leaving your high end goods in your hotel room rather than the show hall.