wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

Beautiful M1 Carbine For Review
Old 05-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
Mp40Bran
Association Member

Default Beautiful M1 Carbine For Review

Hello! I have a 1943-44 M1 Carbine for review! It looks like it is in really good condition. It was in a safe for 75 years and was not polished. Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by Mp40Bran; 05-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
zimmerit
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp40Bran View Post
Hello! I have a 1943-44 M1 Carbine for review! It looks like it is in really good condition. It was in a safe for 75 years and was not polished. Please let me know what you think.
Sure looks polished to me, the wood for sure anyway

Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
robert
Association Member

Looks like its reblued and looks like it has an M2 (fat belly) stick. in 1944 it should have a dark, dull parkerized or "du-lite" finish. Check for a a slut in the wood on the left side of the receiver where they would have cut it out for the M2 selector switch.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
Mp40Bran
Association Member

Thanks guys for your help! He says the gun has never been "re-blued" but I can't trust this one. You guys are the best!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Johnny Peppers

Can't tell if it is a reflection from a heavy coating of oil oil, but the original finish would have been a dull phosphate (Parkerized), not blued. The stock is a post WWII replacement made of birch. Only walnut was used during the time the Carbine was made. It has a Type 2 barrel band, and during rebuild it would have been fitted with a Type 3 (bayonet lug) barrel band.

Knowing the serial number range would help.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
Simon H

You might say it has been "pimped up" a bit?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Alan Smith
Association Member

It looks to have an old GI-type phosphate/parkerized military finish . . . perhaps a US arsenal re-build? Further, I think the entire gun (wood + metal) has been heavily covered with a glossy "Tru-Oil" type finish (likely done to "seal up" and "protect" the metal finish . . . or they were just lazy when doing the stock and covered everything). Such type of oil/varnish finish could be removed without damaging the metal's finish.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
wandering38

Alan is right- the metal appears to have original parkerized finish under a coat of dried wood finish. Take the metal out of the stock and use a cloth to wipe it with denatured alcohol, then citristrip (brand name for a non-toxic citrus-based wood stripper). The alcohol might do the job on its own, but at least it will remove the gun oil so that the stripper can actually remove the wood finish from the metal. Use a toothbrush to clean the crevices. When finished, wash in warm soapy water, dry well, and apply gun or machine oil. Warm the metal with a heat gun or hair dryer prior to applying the oil so that all the water is evaporated from the crystalline structure of the parkerized finish and the oil can fully penetrate without leaving moisture for rust to feed on.

Regarding the stock, it is hard to tell due to the angle, but it looks to be postwar of the “potbelly” M2 type. So Korean War era. It is definitely birch, but that alone does not prove it is postwar. Not all WWII stocks were walnut. IBM used birch stocks for a large percentage of their production in 1944. Also some cherry wood stocks were used by Rock-Ola.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
Ron Weinand
Association Member

Very good advice!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
jtb1967
Association Member

From the photos, it could be Lemon oil, furniture polish, or some other oil just slathered all over the wood and metal. To some it makes it look "nice". I'd have to see in person to be sure.