wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

rare repro picklehaubes
Old 05-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #1
volgograd
Expelled

Default rare repro picklehaubes

I wont mention name of seller on ebay ,but theres a guy sells excellent repro picklehaubes, and some brit spiked helmets .Iv bought three, one is an Bavarian ertsatz helmet with brass fitting,it main body is hard felt with the front and rear peak in leather,a stunning helmet with gentle age patina.The other is a bavarian polic e officers helmet chinscales ect,and a uhlan helmet in all metal with age, and comes with a layer of dust,i repeat he is honest, and sells them as repros.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
bolewts58
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volgograd View Post
I wont mention name of seller on ebay ,but theres a guy sells excellent repro picklehaubes, and some brit spiked helmets .Iv bought three, one is an Bavarian ertsatz helmet with brass fitting,it main body is hard felt with the front and rear peak in leather,a stunning helmet with gentle age patina.The other is a bavarian polic e officers helmet chinscales ect,and a uhlan helmet in all metal with age, and comes with a layer of dust,i repeat he is honest, and sells them as repros.
On this forum, it's accepted that you're supposed to mention the name of any seller selling repros, especially high-quality ones even if the person is supposedly honest because the items could be bought by less scrupulous people and sold on as genuine. This happens all the time. So, it helps if collectors can see these ahead of time.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
ROBB
Association Member

Why are you telling us this ? Rob

Repro
Old 05-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
collector rich
Association Member

Smile Repro

Bad Repro and mint Repro....Still a Repro.

Put money together and buy the real thing.

My opinion.

Rich

Old 05-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
Forssmann
Association Member

"Rare repro" is an oxymoron

Old 05-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
C. Roelens
Association Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh… never mind… I'll just listen to the circus music playing in my head...

Old 05-22-2019, 02:31 AM   #7
R.Beck
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector rich View Post

My opinion.

Rich
I have to agree! Whats the point of owning a fake? Eventually its gonna wind up in the wrong hands and eventually in the hands of the poor sap that was duped into buying it. Burn 'em all I say

fair point
Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
volgograd
Expelled

Default fair point

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Beck View Post
I have to agree! Whats the point of owning a fake? Eventually its gonna wind up in the wrong hands and eventually in the hands of the poor sap that was duped into buying it. Burn 'em all I say

In germany they are making high quality picklehaubes which are more likely to end up being sold as real at some point. The ones from india will fool nobody.The one s i mentioned are giving collectors the chance to own the very rarest of haubes at a good price and thats ok with me.with a little bit of study they are also easily seen as repros,sold to me as a repro ,and if i sell them, they will be sold as repros.I will say if there was some way they could stamp repro inside it indellibly that would be helpfull.

good point
Old 05-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
volgograd
Expelled

Default good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolewts58 View Post
On this forum, it's accepted that you're supposed to mention the name of any seller selling repros, especially high-quality ones even if the person is supposedly honest because the items could be bought by less scrupulous people and sold on as genuine. This happens all the time. So, it helps if collectors can see these ahead of time.
good point.

2 of the real thing in my collection
Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
volgograd
Expelled

Default 2 of the real thing in my collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector rich View Post

My opinion.

Rich
I have two of the real thing in my collection, and in my opinion im delighted with these rare repros,each to his own opinion of course.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
morel5000
Association Member

Where is the link? Where are the pictures? This is storytelling.

marked
Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
pauke
Association Member

Default marked

If multiple parts are marked in such a manner that it cannot be undone then I would find an excellent repro acceptable on the market so no future novice will be fooled. Otherwise caveat emptor!

Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #13
bolewts58
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volgograd View Post
I have two of the real thing in my collection, and in my opinion im delighted with these rare repros,each to his own opinion of course.
The joy of collecting original pieces; whether it's a Picasso lithograph, a Ming vase, a Mickey Mantle baseball card, a Steif teddy bear, a Pour le Merite or a Garde du Corps helmet is that it's a piece of history that connects us directly to the past and our ancestors.

A repro, even a very high quality repro is nothing but superficial decoration.

I'd rather have ONE genuine piece (even something common), that I can research, that I know is contemporary to the period, that has context because it served a historical purpose for the person who actually used it, rather than a collection of "rare" (oxymoron indeed!) pretty pieces that serve as nothing more than window-dressing.

I'm sorry to be blunt. But, collecting repro Pickehaubes does not make someone a militaria collector anymore than buying a poster of the Mona Lisa at Wallmart makes someone an art collector. I'm just speaking generally. I'm not saying this about you as I know you also have a collection of real helmets, which is why I wonder why you would want repros.

What you're talking about only belongs on this forum as a warning of the increasing danger of modern repros. They should be marked on all their parts as reproduction, so there's no doubt what they are. Describing these items in positive terms is an insult to genuine pieces.

There was a guy a few years ago who started posting pictures of his "collection" of reproduction Imperial German medal bars. They were colorful and full of "bling" but meaningless and I told him so. They didn't belong on WAF or any other reputable forum as there are plenty of genuine items of a similar nature to see. The same it true of these helmets to which you refer.

The hobby is in jeopardy because there are fewer new collectors in part because of cost and most significantly because of the dangers of being burned by good quality fakes. That's why I see these repro helmets as a detriment to the hobby beyond their educational purpose as an example of what not to buy.

That being said, some detailed photos would be good so everyone can judge these for what they are.

Last edited by bolewts58; 05-25-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 AM   #14
nutmeg
Association Member

Bravo! Well said.

reproductions of everything antique
Old 05-26-2019, 04:43 AM   #15
volgograd
Expelled

Default reproductions of everything antique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolewts58 View Post
The joy of collecting original pieces; whether it's a Picasso lithograph, a Ming vase, a Mickey Mantle baseball card, a Steif teddy bear, a Pour le Merite or a Garde du Corps helmet is that it's a piece of history that connects us directly to the past and our ancestors.

A repro, even a very high quality repro is nothing but superficial decoration.

I'd rather have ONE genuine piece (even something common), that I can research, that I know is contemporary to the period, that has context because it served a historical purpose for the person who actually used it, rather than a collection of "rare" (oxymoron indeed!) pretty pieces that serve as nothing more than window-dressing.

I'm sorry to be blunt. But, collecting repro Pickehaubes does not make someone a militaria collector anymore than buying a poster of the Mona Lisa at Wallmart makes someone an art collector. I'm just speaking generally. I'm not saying this about you as I know you also have a collection of real helmets, which is why I wonder why you would want repros.

What you're talking about only belongs on this forum as a warning of the increasing danger of modern repros. They should be marked on all their parts as reproduction, so there's no doubt what they are. Describing these items in positive terms is an insult to genuine pieces.

There was a guy a few years ago who started posting pictures of his "collection" of reproduction Imperial German medal bars. They were colorful and full of "bling" but meaningless and I told him so. They didn't belong on WAF or any other reputable forum as there are plenty of genuine items of a similar nature to see. The same it true of these helmets to which you refer.

The hobby is in jeopardy because there are fewer new collectors in part because of cost and most significantly because of the dangers of being burned by good quality fakes. That's why I see these repro helmets as a detriment to the hobby beyond their educational purpose as an example of what not to buy.

That being said, some detailed photos would be good so everyone can judge these for what they are.
There are reproductions of every antique you can think off,part of the joy of collecting is you educate yourself on the area you collect in and differentiate between real and repro.some people cant afford the real thing we hav e to remember that.I can so i have to genuine haubes,and some repros because thats my choice.Its not rocket science differentiating most repros of anything ,look for genuine age patina ,and a little provenance helps.I dont think theres one item in my collections thats turned out to be repro rather than the original thing,unless i buy repro.so in my opinion keep the repros coming for the people who cant afford the real thing, and educate yourself if you want the real thing,but thanks for your opinion.