wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

M42 Original Paint and Decal?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #16
napesica
Association Member

Default M42 Original Paint and Decal?

Hello , I always appreciate everyones feedback, which is why I ask. Thank you

Old 05-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #17
Dom
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napesica View Post
Thanks.
I did get it direct from a Vets family that he brought back from the war along with a Puma fighting knife and a few other items and I got it for practically nothing, so I do not know when, where or how an original decal would have gotten on it if not during the war and a refurbish.
Original decals were abundant in the post war years and were often added to plain jane or refurbished helmets. Sometimes for fun, often to deceive. As more was understood about the relationship between decal manufacturers and helmet manufacturers, certain combinations were accepted as good, other combinations as suspect and some combinations as just wrong.

Yours is in the suspect category.

Many Vet acquired items are wrong or have been jazzed up at some point in their lives, not everything owned by Vets remained unaltered since 1945. You should remember that before us collectors got all pernickety about this stuff and started paying big money for it, no one really cared if an ES decal was shoved on a high lot number M42. It was not necessarily seen as doing something wrong. Nowadays people do care and it makes a big difference to value.

If you got it for practically nothing, then the only people who lost out are the Vets family. If it was an undoubtedly good helmet it would have been even more wrong for the Vets family to have received a pittance.

Dom

Last edited by Dom; 05-25-2019 at 02:53 AM.