wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

Rations! Rations! Ration! The one stop thread about German Rations of WWII.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
djpool
Association Member

Default Rations! Rations! Ration! The one stop thread about German Rations of WWII.

Simon Orchard asked Tom and I if we would consider starting a “Post your Ration Items” thread on the Equipment forum. Right now discussions on rations are spread throughout the WAF. So of course we thought it was a great idea. We didn’t want to make it strictly a post your collection affair, so we outlined a few topics that might be of interest.
-Post pictures of ration items in your collection.
-Post wartime pictures of ration items from your collection or from wartime references.
-Discuss or post wartime regulations on rations.
-Discuss manufacturer information.
-Comment on or ask questions about the book “Rations of the German Wehrmacht in WWII”
-Tom and I will address changes to the book “Rations of the German Wehrmacht in WWII”. We’ll also expand the discussion of some items shown in the book.
The objective of course is to expand our collective knowledge of this often neglected subject.
Regards Jim Pool and Tom Bock

Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
djpool
Association Member

As the first post Tom and I want to make available the change/update file in PDF format to anyone who requests it. Schiffer publishing does not have a procedure in place to address changes in a timely fashion. Books are only updated when they go into reprint, if that ever happens. Anyway we developed a file for Schiffer addressing editing errors, format errors, factual errors etc along with additional photographs. The bulk of the document consists of new photographs that we omitted on purpose due to space concerns, that we didn’t have authorization to use at the time, that were omitted by mistake, to replace a current photograph or simply because the photograph was not available at the time of printing.
Any way if you would like a copy of the file E Mail me at:

pzrgtgd@hotmail.com

We would appreciate everyone’s help in getting the file out by sending it to friends who bought the book or posting this information on any other forums.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
djpool
Association Member

For those that don't want the change file here is the most serious error in the book.

Page 212 change the following paragraph: The 1939 Special Allowance for Motorized Troops portion consisted of the following:

A. 1 box of mixed canned foods
B. 600 grams of Dauerbrot or 500 grams of Knäckebrot
C. 100 grams of Chocolate
D. 5 grams of Lemon powder

To read

The 1939 Special Allowance for Motorized Troops portion consisted of the following:>>
A. 1 can of mixed vegetables and meats

Delete the accompanying photo and caption in the book and replace it with this:

A recreation of the 1939 special allowance for armored forces. The ration consisted of the following items: 1. Can of mixed meat and vegetables 2. Lemon powder. 3.Knäckebrot (4 Packages total) and 4. Chocolate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Change-036.JPG (124.8 KB, 3987 views)

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
djpool
Association Member

If you have copy of the book you will notice that we had to make up recreations of certain items, because we were unable to get permission to use photographs of the original items. In most but not all cases we refer the reader to the location of the original photographs. Here are most of the pictures we make reference too. This first item is Dauerbrot pictured on page 33 of the book German Soldiers of WWII by Jean De Lagarde.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (130.4 KB, 3953 views)

Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
djpool
Association Member

On page 49 endnote 8 we discuss Dauerbrot packages wrapped with string. We found no mention of string being used in the packaging process. The bread was usually wrapped in two layers of material, then overwrapped with a cover. This method of packaging ensured the bread was kept fresh. We can't say for sure if the string wrapped bread is fake but we certainly have our doubts.Here is a picture of the bread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbrot string.jpg (34.0 KB, 3915 views)

Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
djpool
Association Member

In Chapter two we direct the readers to a picture of the 5OO Gram ADA cheese can with stencilled information on the lid. The original picture is on page 223 of Camouflage Uniforms of the German Wehrmacht by Werner Palinckx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (81.2 KB, 3871 views)

Rations! Rations! Ration! The one stop thread about German Rations of WWII.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
napesica
Association Member

Default Rations! Rations! Ration! The one stop thread about German Rations of WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpool View Post
For those that don't want the change file here is the most serious error in the book.

Page 212 change the following paragraph: The 1939 Special Allowance for Motorized Troops portion consisted of the following:

A. 1 box of mixed canned foods

To read

The 1939 Special Allowance for Motorized Troops portion consisted of the following:>>
A. 1 can of mixed vegetables and meats

Delete the accompanying photo and caption in the book and replace it with this:

A recreation of the 1939 special allowance for armored forces. The ration consisted of the following items: 1. Can of mixed meat and vegetables 2. Lemon powder. 3.Knäckebrot (4 Packages total) and 4. Chocolate

OK, so these so called "Lemonade" containers....is there any documentation any where stating that is what these are? I know the claim has been made that these special aluminum containers held a lemonade powder to encourage soldiers to drink so they would not become dehydrated. Really?
OK so I took some very strong modern Liptons Lemonade Ice Tea mix, probably much stronger than anything produced by war item Germany, and mixed it per the instructions on the lid with 2 liters of water. Results....you could just barely, hardly , maybe taste a little bit of difference in the water. And since when did soldiers need to be reminded to drink water? That was their main drink available and I think most knew when and how to drink and needed little encouragement to do so. Just seems like a lot of trouble and added expense just so a soldier will have flavored water.
Counter view of these 'Marching Drinks"....OK so in Russia etc where lots of these are found they are most often referred to as "Energy Drink " containers which certainly goes along with what they are labeled (Marching Drink, why doesnt the cap say 'Lemonade Powder' or 'Anti-dehydration Drink'). And just look at the special rations for motorized troops....lets see what do you have here that someone driving long distances may need.....some meat,,,,some bread,,,some sugar and caffeine chocolate and some "lemonade". Really , Lemonade? How about a high powered energy drink (Marching Drink) to keep you going.
Until I see something from a Vet that used the stuff or some war time documentation I will never believe these are just 'Lemonade' powders. Too expensive to produce and distribute just so a soldier will have a very mild hardly discernable lemon flavored water. Makes no sense at all. I think they held a mild form of Pervitan or something similar which makes a whole lot more sense IMO. Michael

Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
djpool
Association Member

You'll have to wait for Vol II then. The March Drink was mentioned in the British Intell. They didn't call it lemon flavored though, just citrus based. jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by napesica View Post
OK, so these so called "Lemonade" containers....is there any documentation any where stating that is what these are? I know the claim has been made that these special aluminum containers held a lemonade powder to encourage soldiers to drink so they would not become dehydrated. Really?
OK so I took some very strong modern Liptons Lemonade Ice Tea mix, probably much stronger than anything produced by war item Germany, and mixed it per the instructions on the lid with 2 liters of water. Results....you could just barely, hardly , maybe taste a little bit of difference in the water. And since when did soldiers need to be reminded to drink water? That was their main drink available and I think most knew when and how to drink and needed little encouragement to do so. Just seems like a lot of trouble and added expense just so a soldier will have flavored water.
Counter view of these 'Marching Drinks"....OK so in Russia etc where lots of these are found they are most often referred to as "Energy Drink " containers which certainly goes along with what they are labeled (Marching Drink, why doesnt the cap say 'Lemonade Powder' or 'Anti-dehydration Drink'). And just look at the special rations for motorized troops....lets see what do you have here that someone driving long distances may need.....some meat,,,,some bread,,,some sugar and caffeine chocolate and some "lemonade". Really , Lemonade? How about a high powered energy drink (Marching Drink) to keep you going.
Until I see something from a Vet that used the stuff or some war time documentation I will never believe these are just 'Lemonade' powders. Too expensive to produce and distribute just so a soldier will have a very mild hardly discernable lemon flavored water. Makes no sense at all. I think they held a mild form of Pervitan or something similar which makes a whole lot more sense IMO. Michael

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
djpool
Association Member

Michael,

The Germans did produce lemon powder for their troops to improve the flavor of their drinking water. Heres the statement in Soldatenernahrung und Gemeinschaftsverpflegung 1939. Basically states to add 5 g of lemon powder to flavor half a liter of water. Now it doesn't say March Drink but the British intell studies do. But yes the Germans did go that extra mile by making sure their soldiers had flavored water.

The problem with using a modern product to replicate a war time product is we don't know how it was made, what concentration of citrus they used if they used any at all. Don't forget the Germans used tartaric acid to give candies its sour taste. Also your assuming that what is an acceptable taste for you also applied to the German soldier of 1940. The Germans loved Rye bread but it wasn't as well recieved by the GI. When I was stationed in Germany from the 1970s-1990s German friends always commented that American coffee tasted like dishwater.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by napesica View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (33.5 KB, 1179 views)

I love Critics!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
kevinpre45

War I love Critics!

Hello
I see this time and time again! Someone that has done zero research is now an expert! Where is your book on the subject? Ive read (and re-read) The ration book and it is Excellent! Maybe before you talk out of your fourth point of contact(AIRBORNE!) again get you facts in order!
Kevin

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
aa410

Need help.How may looks original labels for this german canned foods containers?

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/aa410/view/421525/

Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #12
ZAM
Expelled

Most of the german rations had no label!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
djpool
Association Member

As noted most canned items were stamped with the contents etc. So those cans look okay as they are. While some cans were painted green, most of the oval cans were in natural aluminum and the open top cans were generally silver or gold. A protective coating was applied to many of the gold colored cans. Here are 2 pictures. Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa410 View Post
Need help.How may looks original labels for this german canned foods containers?

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/aa410/view/421525/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02-004.jpg (41.8 KB, 1062 views)
File Type: jpg 003-001.jpg (70.9 KB, 1061 views)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
zschackel

Does anyone have any images of a Tuna Tin ration?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
unterscharr

transport box

Apfelsaft WEHRM
Schweinefleisch 2 x
Schweinefleisch Jan.1945
Wein 1943
Hefe Extrakt Wehrmacht