wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Photos and Paper Items Forum

Photos and Paper Items Forum Awards Document and any photo related to the era.

My grandfather-Gren.Ers.Ausb. btl. 365 HELP
Old 05-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
spaget

Default My grandfather-Gren.Ers.Ausb. btl. 365 HELP

My grandfather, Anton Triplat (may 1925-january 2013) was born in Moste, Slovenia and entered into the german army in march 43. He was in Grenadier Ersatz und Ausbildungs bataillon 365 unit. Several times he mentioned his beginning of a war journey on 20th of april 1943 in Köln with Hitler's birthday parade and where he saw Erwin Rommel. Then they were transffered to Nijmegen (Klooster Nebo) and Arnhem, where he had a possibility to enter into the SS, but he refused eventhough he spoke german very well, but pretend that he didn't. His weapon was MG 42 and P08. I think he was in Nijmegen till the end of may 1944, because i have a letter with this date, meanwhile his unit was changing its Iocation in France and Holland several times. I remember he mentioned some places like Venlo, La Rochele (he saw Karl Dönitz there), Cherbourg, St. Lo and then after the invasion Utah beach, Caen, Antwerpen and once again Arnhem. He defended bridge there and got Nähkampfspange in silver. This happened in september 1944 during the opreation market garden. Shortly after, Anton and his assistent decide to surrender to american troops, but the first attempt was not successfull. They met SS panzer brigade and were nearly killed as a deserter, but luckily my grandfather convinced them that they escaped from americans. Second time, they have more luck and finally met two american soldiers. They send them back to Normandy (Cherbourg) with other prisoners of war and in november 1944 to POW camp in Great Britain through London, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and finally Edinburg. He returned home in former Yugoslavia in 1946.
Anton mentioned that 2 of his MG assistens were killed during the war, but the last one survived. In february this year i called one random number with Ivan's surname (his MG assistant) he mentioned and an old lady on the other site was his ex wife. Bingo! Unfortunately this assistent Ivan and my grandfather Anton are both dead, but i got some pictures of Ivan and one pass from POW.
Is there any chance to get some more information about his unit where was located during the invasion, because all i have is from WASt-Deutsche Dienststelle (German government agency based in Berlin) and from Lexikon der Wehrmacht.. Nothing very usefull at all .

(Arnheim SS barracks)

(second one from right to left)

Thank you for your help,

Best regards

Last edited by spaget; 05-16-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Simon H

What exactly did you get back from WaSt?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
spaget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
What exactly did you get back from WaSt?
Erste Meldung: ohne Datum jedoch in der Zeit von Mai bis Juli 1943 einberufen

Letzte Meldung: 17.2.1946 aus brit. Gefangenschaft den jugosl. Behörden überstellt.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
o.r.k.

Thanks for sharing your grandfathers interesting story. I can' t imagine returning to Yugoslavia as a former wehrmacht soldier in 1945 was a smooth thing. Do you know how he fared when returning?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
spaget

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.r.k. View Post
Thanks for sharing your grandfathers interesting story. I can' t imagine returning to Yugoslavia as a former wehrmacht soldier in 1945 was a smooth thing. Do you know how he fared when returning?
Yes I know, I filmed him for nearly 4 hours. He helped with building a dam in my hometown which is 60 m high. One day a man said to him look at Bavd (house name) SS soldier! He grabbed him and pushed him over safety fence just holding his arm and gave him two options. The First one was to shut up and the other one to fly down in the river. Since then he didn't have problems anymore I would rather say he enjoyed reputiation, because everyone knew how much he suffered Since D day...

Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
Wilhelm

That is some story, thanks. Have you tried the Bundesarchiv?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
spaget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
That is some story, thanks. Have you tried the Bundesarchiv?
No, not yet.

Last edited by spaget; 05-17-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
Yubari
Association Member

thank you for sharing

Old 05-17-2018, 02:24 AM   #9
Simon H

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaget View Post
Erste Meldung: ohne Datum jedoch in der Zeit von Mai bis Juli 1943 einberufen

Letzte Meldung: 17.2.1946 aus brit. Gefangenschaft den jugosl. Behörden überstellt.
Pity, not a lot to go on at all. Interesting story. Might also be worth contacting the International Red Cross in Geneva who should have some info on his time in captivity.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 AM   #10
o.r.k.

a lucky new start for your grandfather - thanks for the reply. The German report says `1946 aus britischer Gefangenschaft den jugoslawischen Behörden überstellt´- that sounds like a forced repatriation.