wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum

Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum Wehrmacht, Political and Organizational Standards, flags, and car pennants.

New flag pole pickup
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Duzig
Association Member

Default New flag pole pickup

Hello,
Just like to show my newest item I picked up. A DAOV flag pole top. I had picked up a GDAO top a while ago so now all I need are the other two variant names of this organization. Also I've noticed that of the DAOV tops I've seen all have had 11 cogs on the wheel and on the GDAO one's Ive seen all have had 17 cogs on the wheel. Was this just variations and there was no particular number of cogs specified, just depended on who made it or what? And have others seen GDAO or DAOV tops with more or less cogs as the one's I show? Also I don't think I've seen a NSAO or GAO top, are they more scarce than the other two or what?
Any other comments or info is appreciated
thanks
Duzig(Bill)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAOV poletop (5).JPG (145.6 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg DAOV poletop (12).JPG (117.3 KB, 211 views)

Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
paulj
Association Member

Great find! Here's my matching flag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg URA1.jpg (49.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180423_102823176.jpg (89.0 KB, 198 views)

Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #3
Duzig
Association Member

Wow, Paulj, that is one beautiful flag, and it's in beautiful shape too. I have a GDAO flag and poletop but not one of the DAOV flags yet, Very nice flag! Thanks for your comment. Maybe one of these days if you ever decide to sell it and the price is right I would be interested in buying it. Again thanks for your comment.
Bill

Very nice !!!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
oldflagswanted
Lifetime Member

Default Very nice !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzig View Post
... my newest item I picked up.
A DAOV flag pole top. ...
Duzig(Bill)
Very nice, congratulations !!!
And ditto too on Paulj's banner.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Duzig
Association Member

Hello,
OFW, thanks for your comment, always appreciated. And out of curiousity regarding my first post, I noticed that of the DAOV tops I've seen all have had 11 cogs on the wheel and on the GDAO one's Ive seen all have had 17 cogs on the wheel. Was this just variations and there was no particular number of cogs specified, just depended on who made it or what? And have others seen GDAO or DAOV tops with more or less cogs as the one's I show? Also I don't think I've seen an NSAO or GAO poletop, are they less commonly seen that the GDAO and DAOV tops?
thanks again for your comments and help.
Bill

Old 05-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
paulj
Association Member

My thoughts on the variations are based in German frugality. Since the GDAO is one of the earlier designations, I would think simplifying the design by reducing the cogs on the DAOV version, aside from being less cluttered, made the top cheaper to produce...less time finishing, less nickel plating, etc.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
rlimike
Association Member

Bill, very nice finds... those seem to be pretty scarce. I have been hunting for one that is not missing the socket; but they all seem to be missing that part.

Michael H.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Duzig
Association Member

Paul, thanks for your info about the # of cogs, I wondered whether their was a specific reason or what and your answer definitely makes sense. Mike, yes I have noticed that too and I have seen two more tops like this on websites lately and both are missing the socket also. thanks Paul and Mike for your comments and info. As an aside, and regarding the thread in Community forum "If WAF ends where do we all go?" this is exactly why I hope WAF doesn't go away, members here always give a helping hand with info and almost a feeling of a kind of brotherhood, at least in my mind that exists on WAF. Thanks again to all who have commented this time and on other occasions. It is appreciated.

Bill

Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
paulj
Association Member

Just for information's sake, here's a corner patch variation of the DAOV flag (not in my collection, unfortunately).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7035_2.jpg (229.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 7035_1.jpg (131.4 KB, 90 views)

Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
Duzig
Association Member

PaulJ
Thanks for that pic. Never saw one like that. Not quite as ornate or detailed as the one you have but very nice. Paul, just a variation or an earlier version of the DAOV flag? I have to keep my eye out for items like this. Again thanks for that pic
Bill

Old 05-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
paulj
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzig View Post
PaulJ
Thanks for that pic. Never saw one like that. Not quite as ornate or detailed as the one you have but very nice. Paul, just a variation or an earlier version of the DAOV flag? I have to keep my eye out for items like this. Again thanks for that pic
Bill
I don't know where the corner patch version falls in the grander scheme of things. Since mine has the Ortsgruppe designation, perhaps the corner patch type is for a higher administration like a Kreis.

I've seen a GDAO Ortsgruppe flag like my DAOV and here's an NSAO type I found on the net that doesn't conform to either of the other designs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg de}nsao.jpg (9.7 KB, 58 views)

Old 05-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
Duzig
Association Member

Hello Paul,
I think I have seen that picture on the net somewhere also. I think someone said a relative had brought it home or something and was asking what it was for. I believe I had seen one like you first showed, maybe the same one you have when I did a search online. I went to the site and thought great, and a good price...until I saw it was already sold. I gotta start keeping my eyes out for items like this that come up for sale. I don't know why but for some reason I don't think flags and items from organizations like this while scarce are that popular for being bought by collectors? I could be wrong but it seems that other organizations are collected more? I think items like this and other items are absolutely beautiful and quite tastefully done. I'd much rather have a poletop or flag from an organization like this as opposed to the oft seen one's. That SA Command(?) flag you show in the other thread with the swas's in each corner had got to be one of the most eye catching flags I've seen. In any case thanks for the info and pics and again, I'm just in awe at the various flags you have in your collection. It's always a pleasure to see the items you post.
thanks again
Bill