wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

MG34/42 Ammo Drum?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
bandanabandit1

Default MG34/42 Ammo Drum?

I am searching for an original example of an mg34/42 assault drum, but I have only been seeing the yugo lime green postwar painted examples. Can anyone tell me what the original finish on the german drums were? Whether they were painted or blued steel and possibly where I can purchase one?

Thank you very much

Old 06-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
timg
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandanabandit1 View Post
I am searching for an original example of an mg34/42 assault drum, but I have only been seeing the yugo lime green postwar painted examples. Can anyone tell me what the original finish on the german drums were? Whether they were painted or blued steel and possibly where I can purchase one?

Thank you very much
Hi Bandana,

Cant tell you where to get one as that is a case of keeping your eyes open on the web etc.

First drums were out in 1939, so would have been in field grey with a red primer base. Inside would be a direction arrow for showing how to put the belt in. The first type had a sliding gate to close the opening to keep the dirt out.
By 43 the colour would have changed to Dunkelgelb (dark yellow, couple of shades of that depending on year/factory) and the very latest ones would have had a spring loaded gate to close to keep the dust out.

Different manufactures made them but to the same pattern. Earlier ones may have more comprehensive markings/waffens, with later ones having less.
Obsoleted by late 44 and no longer made.

As you say, used by the Yugo,s and other nations post war with some of them being completely blasted back and a dark bluing finish applied. Some were also made post war.

The earliest carrier for the drums that I have seen is a 40 date, never seen a 39 dated 0ne .
If any one has seen or has a 39 dated one feel free to post pics as I would love to see it.

Hope that helps a bit. And in case you ask, yes the troops did touch up and repaint kit in the field so it is not totally incorrect to see a brushed finish but be careful and select wisely.

Regards

Tim

Old 06-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
bandanabandit1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Hi Bandana,

Cant tell you where to get one as that is a case of keeping your eyes open on the web etc.

First drums were out in 1939, so would have been in field grey with a red primer base. Inside would be a direction arrow for showing how to put the belt in. The first type had a sliding gate to close the opening to keep the dirt out.
By 43 the colour would have changed to Dunkelgelb (dark yellow, couple of shades of that depending on year/factory) and the very latest ones would have had a spring loaded gate to close to keep the dust out.

Different manufactures made them but to the same pattern. Earlier ones may have more comprehensive markings/waffens, with later ones having less.
Obsoleted by late 44 and no longer made.

As you say, used by the Yugo,s and other nations post war with some of them being completely blasted back and a dark bluing finish applied. Some were also made post war.

The earliest carrier for the drums that I have seen is a 40 date, never seen a 39 dated 0ne .
If any one has seen or has a 39 dated one feel free to post pics as I would love to see it.

Hope that helps a bit. And in case you ask, yes the troops did touch up and repaint kit in the field so it is not totally incorrect to see a brushed finish but be careful and select wisely.

Regards

Tim
Thank you for the reply and wealth of knowledge Tim. I;m over across the pond in the US and I will have to keep a look out online. Do you happen to have any photos of the original drums I can use for reference?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
pzo
Association Member

Dear Tim,
This is for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Hasag 39 MG basket.jpg (232.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Hasag 39 MG basket.jpg (72.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Hasag 39 MG basket.jpg (100.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Hasag 39 MG basket.jpg (242.0 KB, 50 views)

Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
timg
Association Member

Quote:
Thank you for the reply and wealth of knowledge Tim. I;m over across the pond in the US and I will have to keep a look out online. Do you happen to have any photos of the original drums I can use for reference?
Well, have to confess bandana I cannot do better than PZO has posted, excellent examples of colour, wear patterns, markings (early) and even the two types of closure ( spring and sliding)

PZO.........you had me all exited then......I thought you were going to show a 39 dated carrier (gurttrommeltrager) I should have made myself clearer. I have got a 39 drum by hasag ( nice with the commercial logo arnt they) but yours is more original.

Still need to see a carrier tho

regards

Tim

Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
pzo
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Well, have to confess bandana I cannot do better than PZO has posted, excellent examples of colour, wear patterns, markings (early) and even the two types of closure ( spring and sliding)

PZO.........you had me all exited then......I thought you were going to show a 39 dated carrier (gurttrommeltrager) I should have made myself clearer. I have got a 39 drum by hasag ( nice with the commercial logo arnt they) but yours is more original.

Still need to see a carrier tho

regards

Tim
Yes, me too

Old 06-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
MP44_tom

Quote:
y where I can purchase one?

Thank you very much
They show up on ebay from time to time

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Gurttrommel-...QAAOSw2spbFEOd