wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Canadian museum alleges German vehicles inauthentic
Old 05-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
johann mor

Default Canadian museum alleges German vehicles inauthentic

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/l...wwii-artifacts

I think that these vehicles were discussed at the time of the auction and the vehicles known problems were highlighted but apparently the new owner didn't bother to do his homework.

Jon

Old 05-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

you are correct Jon, the Kruse Foundation bought the Victory Museum Marder III which was flooded with "Frankensteined" vehicles...

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=866659&page=2

Another proof that idiots (here the Ontario Regiment Museum) are leading this world... People said to be experts on WW2 vehicles that are even unable to double check the internet about the Victory Museum "Frankensteins"...

Actually the claim is on for months...

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...Foundation_Inc

See You

Vince

Last edited by FrenchVolunteer; 05-24-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
johann mor

It really astonishes me, that someone would pay that sort of money without doing their homework on the items that they are buying.

Jon

Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
no1canuck
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann mor View Post
It really astonishes me, that someone would pay that sort of money without doing their homework on the items that they are buying.

Jon
Gotta agree with that. And a Canadian museum at that! Sad.

Steve

Old 05-25-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
earlymb

Makes you wonder what happens if the ever encounter an original WW2 Ford Köln vehicle? 'It's a Ford, so it can't be German WW2!'

Old 05-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
no1canuck
Association Member

Speaking of Ford....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938-ford[1].jpg (134.8 KB, 646 views)

bad deal
Old 05-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
Bullitt

Default bad deal

hi

I wonder if some other "collectors" will now double check their hi-priced "trophy's which they bought from Kruse.....like some of the sdkfz 251 that were sold only had an original chassis....and maybe it even was a sdKfz 11 frame with a replica 251 body.

A blind man could see that the Marder III (Ausf Frankenstein) was a post war Swedish coverted vehicle based on the 38t chassis.

The weirdest and worst creation was the Opel Maultier nebelwerfer.....nothing was correctly made, even the size and angles of the armourplating was wrong ....I wonder where that monster resides now?

ciao
Bullitt

Old 05-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #8
johann mor

In the same Canadian Museum.

Jon

Old 05-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
timg
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann mor View Post

Jon
Johann, don't upset your future customer too much. Who will buy your authentic panzer when you have to move it on??

Old 05-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Bullitt

Quote:

Jon
Well the world always needs dumb people to sell **** to I guess.

Actually its apauling that no better research was done in this over-communicated and informed digi-world.
again pressious government money was badly spent.

My guess is that Kruse himself wasn't aware what he bought back then ....but he knew it out lateron and then wanted to get rid of it asap.

ciao
Bullitt

Old 05-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #11
earlymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
hi

like some of the sdkfz 251 that were sold only had an original chassis....and maybe it even was a sdKfz 11 frame with a replica 251 body.
I believe it was bought by the Irish owner of the Primark chain, and he did find out not long after he got it. To say he was 'not amused' would be a bit of an understatement. No idea if he still has it or what he did with it.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #12
harrison987
Association Member

Yup!

Almost everything was a mock-up.

The "Marder" was on eBay for $75K...and NEVER sold. I told them EXACTLY what is was - a Swedish SavM43...

I had numerous conversations with them about this vehicle, and I offered $30K for it, and they passed.

When the auctioneers had it up, I AGAIN told them directly that it was not a Marder, and that the museum already knows this...suggested they change their advert (advert claimed it was original).

Sounds like textbook fraud

Canadian museum alleges German vehicles inauthentic
Old 05-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
whsammler

Default Canadian museum alleges German vehicles inauthentic

I went to the grand opening of the Kruse museum years ago & was appalled at the condition of the vehicles. They had tons of equipment, guns you name it & the bulk of it was rubbish. Amateur restorations at best & most of the Equipment looked like it had been through the ringer & was cobbled together just to make them look complete for the sake of display rather than accuracy.

Kruse in my opinion got fleeced & once it was pointed out by experts they are now shifting it to try make up for the loss.

It’s a shame but the old saying goes. “Buyer beware” & “buy the item not the story”

My tax dollars at work. Figures.

Glen
Collector of Wehrmacht Optics, Ordnance & Field Equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
harrison987
Association Member

The original issue was the museum in Belgium.

The owner (Guy Franz Arend) wanted a variant of EVERY vehicle the Germans had.

He gave his staff all the parts and equipment...a photo of the vehicle he wanted the scrap to look like...and then gave them exactly ONE MONTH to make it. All based off photos.

In 2012, I bought the Puppchen, and 2 Raupenschleppers from them. Puppchen was 95%...and the RSO's were only good for the chassis' and engines (which I knew when I bought them).

To give an idea of how one of the RSO was built - they utilized an original instrument panel from a PANTHER as the main panel.

Guy Franz Ahrend
Old 05-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #15
Bullitt

Default Guy Franz Ahrend

Quote:
To give an idea of how one of the RSO was built - they utilized an original instrument panel from a PANTHER as the main panel.
then you got lucky...al least one Original German part that was used instead of cardboard frames they used on so many other vehicles .

I visited that in the Belgian town of "Arlon" based Victory museum once....
the overal setting was a rather dark, obscure badly lit hangar with the vehicles put at some distance from the barriers that guided the visitors around . You weren't allowed to take pictures as well which was pretty odd at that time that it was prohibited. You could only buy the postcards and the catalogue at the museums shop. the entrance fee was much higer than in other museums as well. When the museum closed down a few years later, the entire "collection" was put up for sale by some Dutch guy based in Luxembourg. The big collectors at that time went to see the stuff but most of them returned home empty handed, bedcause then they saw al the makeshift kitbashing and bad replicated stuff. a few of the smaller 4 wheeled vehicles, bikes and the SdKfz 7 were sold but the rest stayed put. After a long while Kruse came along .....and then Kruse sold it off again.
the panzer grey painted SdKfzz 251 ausf A was bought by a US collector who thinks its genuine (sorry only the chassis is authentic , the body is complete replica, the whitewashed Sdkfz 251 Ausf C resides now in a French Museum in Alsace (sorry again the chassis is genuine but the body isn't ) then the SdKfz 251 Ausf D also stayed in the US and is being restored properly now ....it had the most genuine parts and was a good base to start with.

Guy Franz Ahrend was also the owner of another museum in Bastogne on the Mardasson hill .....the star shaped museum......another SdKfz 251 was propped up against the wall in a diorama with some smaller vehicles up front. Again some bad illumination.....it had an original chassis and the Original Ausf d cockpit part but the nose section and the rear body was a very crudely plywood made construction that didn't even resemble the Ausf D

ciao
Bullitt