wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Wehrmacht Equipment Forum

Wehrmacht Equipment Forum Equipment and gear of the Wehrmacht era.

German Tropical M31 Canteen EEF 42
Old 06-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
echofix

Default German Tropical M31 Canteen EEF 42

Hello, It’s is a nice found ! I think this is how this canteen was issued in 1942 for Tropical countries for the Wehrmacht with this added web loop to hold the canteen directly on the belt. I think also that a 1l canteen for any soldier in a hot country must have been a basic equipment… It seems that the use of this "WEB" material was clearly for the German’s Army in WW2 a specific use for the tropical countries, i mean " hot countries", and leather straps for continental countries (i mean "cold"..). But there is still a bit of a leather strap at the end of the back strap? And this bakelite cup that i can’t get any advantage ??... The design of this large canteen is old with this double 0 ring felt at the back wich looks like some reinforcement... Web straps had a lot of advantages and was adopted by many armies in WW2 even for "cold countries" but the German’s kept leather straps till the end using even poor qualitiy leather as the pig leather. I got this impression that the "good looking" was more important at this time than the efficiency. Thank you for your imo’s !