Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe Flying Corps: Uniforms, Traditions, and Equipment (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Bullion cap or breast? (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462765)

Mic Heinrich 09-22-2010 01:43 PM

Bullion cap or breast?

1 Attachment(s)
I have not seen one like this before, opinions please is it cap or breast, good or bad?

JackHun 09-22-2010 02:20 PM

Hi Mic, please show us the backside too.

Thanks, Jack

JasonA 09-22-2010 03:18 PM

Hi,

From the front, the bullion eagle looks solid, and is in excellent condition with no abraiding and minimal oxidation. I would prefer to hear from some of the more advanced collectors on the backing material - I'm not so familiar with tropical clothing items.

As far as cap or breast eagle versions, I don't know of a definitive way to tell other than size. Breast eagles are typically larger than cap eagles. I've seen cap eagles that appear much larger than normal - I would potentially consider that a later replacement by the officer, and they may have applied a breast eagle - I have occasionally seen examples as such. Just to give you a personal example as far as officer bullion eagle sizes, the eagle on my fliegerbluse is larger than the eagle on my M-43, which is larger than the eagle on my forage cap. There's no sense of scale here since we're just seeing the one item. I also think initially applied bullion eagles were typically tighter when you compare the cut of the backing material to the eagle itself.

Bullion was an officer private purchase, so you see greater variance in construction, and uniform/headgear application, especially for backing material used by senior ranking officers.

Hope that helps.

J-

Mic Heinrich 09-23-2010 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, here is a pic of the back. I had some trouble sizing the photo, can take another one if needed? The black backing has crackes through it where you can carefully bend to see through the crack. Can't see any aluminium wire on under side of bird, can see it on rear of swaz.

Mic Heinrich 09-23-2010 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Better one of the back

Mic Heinrich 09-23-2010 10:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Can see white thread on back of bird and alum wire on back of swaz. The width is 95mm.

JasonA 09-23-2010 05:23 PM

95mm is probably more of a breast eagle size.

J-

Jos L C 09-23-2010 06:29 PM

At first sight I'm not a big fan of how it's made, some features remind me of a common fake cap eagle back in the early days and I'm not a fan of items made out off only one type of bullion..except from the swas.
"Simple made" eagles did exist though..
Advantage might be that it's one of a kind sofar.
It's one of those eagles you can't put your finger on, you've to stare at them just too long.
It's a difficult one.

Jos.

JG 51 09-24-2010 02:20 AM

Usually there are patterns in the bullion made out of a more shiny thread as well. Also the formation of the claws/legs looks unusual to me. But that doesn´t mean that your eagle is not pre-45, it might be unusual in a best case senario

Mic Heinrich 09-24-2010 10:04 AM

Thanks guys,
It came with a pair of good looking Flak boards (which was what I was after) so it is an added extra which can go in the probably maybe box.

JasonA 09-24-2010 02:46 PM

I think the fact that it's on tropical material makes it unusual enough. I really don't see many bullion eagles on tropical tunics or the especially rare tropical fliegerbluse.

Mic Heinrich 09-26-2010 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jos Le Conté (Post 4233664)
At first sight I'm not a big fan of how it's made, some features remind me of a common fake cap eagle back in the early days and I'm not a fan of items made out off only one type of bullion..except from the swas.
"Simple made" eagles did exist though..
Advantage might be that it's one of a kind sofar.
It's one of those eagles you can't put your finger on, you've to stare at them just too long.
It's a difficult one.

Jos.

On closer inspection different bullion has been used on top of wings, tail, eye, beak, legs and swas. Please have a look at better pics for any further opinions?
Thanks Mic...

Mic Heinrich 09-26-2010 03:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more..

Jos L C 09-26-2010 10:19 AM

Am I right that they didn't use a template ?

Jos.

JasonA 09-26-2010 12:12 PM

Not sure about the template, Jos, but would think they would have and there must have been numerous versions given the number of variations we see. Can you imaging doing this without a template?! But then again, this was hand-sewn and it was a definite skill just like the master cap makers during wartime Germany.

I've seen various bullion eagles ranging from rather simple (like your example) to the extremely elaborate (cape eagles, for example). I think yours is fine.

J-