Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Militaria Forum (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Angus & Coote Aircrew Wing - Original? (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005163)

fredswiss 05-26-2019 01:53 PM

Angus & Coote Aircrew Wing - Original?

2 Attachment(s)
Is this an original wartime wing or one of the many copies of Angus & Coote Wings?
These are the only photos I have. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

bodes 05-26-2019 07:35 PM

Would like better photos, but have concerns regarding what I see, Bodes

fredswiss 05-27-2019 07:26 AM

These are the only photos I have. Any other thoughts?

Gary Cain 05-27-2019 07:02 PM

The pin doesn't conform to the others I have seen. The rest of it looks OK, but like has been said. Better pictures are an absolute must.

fredswiss 05-28-2019 07:40 AM

Thanks Gary & Bodes. Unfortunately, these are the only photos I have. I think I will take a chance on it if I can acquire it at an inexpensive price.

Gary Cain 05-28-2019 01:48 PM

I wouldn't go over 40 bucks my friend. Like I said, the pin is completely wrong from known originals.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredswiss (Post 8459905)
Thanks Gary & Bodes. Unfortunately, these are the only photos I have. I think I will take a chance on it if I can acquire it at an inexpensive price.

bodes 05-28-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cain (Post 8460176)
I wouldn't go over 40 bucks my friend. Like I said, the pin is completely wrong from known originals.

Looks like part of the 'N' is missing in SYDNEY and the eagle on the obverse appears soft as well.....These were two of my concerns....Bodes

fredswiss 05-28-2019 06:19 PM

Thanks Gary & Bodes. I passed on it.

pfrost 05-29-2019 12:27 PM

Like it was said before, without better pics, it is awful hard to know for sure, but I'll take the other position and say from what I can see, they look fine to me.

All these wings have a couple of "tells" that can allow you to differentiate (at least to some extent) between the "good" and the "bad" ones. Ironically, the bad ones are made with sharper details then the good ones, although I have heard rumors that the next-gen of knockoffs took care of that problem.

As I said, I sort of see some of those tells (with all the caveats that the pictures suck) that makes me think this is a good vintage one.

Patrick

101combatvet 06-07-2019 07:35 PM

Based on what I see, there is nothing wrong with them. The full size is the only one of real value; I see nothing wrong with the pin. Of course, an in hand examination is best.

Gary Cain 06-08-2019 07:25 PM

Other than it being different from every other known A&C wing I would agree with you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 101combatvet (Post 8467580)
Based on what I see, there is nothing wrong with them. The full size is the only one of real value; I see nothing wrong with the pin. Of course, an in hand examination is best.

101combatvet 06-11-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cain (Post 8468338)
Other than it being different from every other known A&C wing I would agree with you.

You can explain the differences if you like. So what is wrong with the pin?

pfrost 06-13-2019 01:32 PM

I don't know that I see a thing wrong with the pin. It looks exactly like every other Angus and Coote wing.

Better photos would help, of course.

PFrost

Gary Cain 06-14-2019 06:37 PM

Look at the bottom of Page 117 of More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens. As usual i can't post pictures here. The hinge is totally different from the A&C wing pictured in the book, which was published long before the fakes began arriving. It also does NOT use the standard Commonwealth style bent pin for tension, it uses a simple US style hinge.

The lack of owner support here is getting tiring.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfrost (Post 8471673)
I don't know that I see a thing wrong with the pin. It looks exactly like every other Angus and Coote wing.

Better photos would help, of course.

PFrost

101combatvet 06-14-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Cain (Post 8472549)
Look at the bottom of Page 117 of More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens. As usual i can't post pictures here. The hinge is totally different from the A&C wing pictured in the book, which was published long before the fakes began arriving. It also does NOT use the standard Commonwealth style bent pin for tension, it uses a simple US style hinge.

The lack of owner support here is getting tiring.

Look at Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens, pg 89, figure #37 for the exact pin configuration as the wing in this post.