Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php)
-   John Burnett Helmet Forum (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Officer bars on German helmet (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981114)

Lancer506 11-07-2018 02:56 PM

Officer bars on German helmet

Ok, the tittle was to get your attention but itís related.

I picked up a lovely Q68 M40 SD LW lid lot #5555 with a beautifully toned decal.
It looks like it saw some combat or some backyard combat post war, but is generally in great shape! What I find odd is that there is a slate grey stripe of paint front and center of the helmet. Itís thinner than your typical US lieutenants bar but of similar height. The paint has a little rust to it it appears so I assume itís been on there a very long time. Iím just wondering if anyone knows of or has period reference to German helmets having been marked in such a way. No, I donít believe it to be a representation of rank, but maybe something related to training? Etc.

Otherwise yes, itís just a post war add on so save your breath friends. I canít post a photo as Iím currently not a Association member and the increased cost has me holding off till next pay period.

Thanks

ValhallaMilitaria 11-07-2018 05:12 PM

I want my click back.

jmcm 11-07-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valhallamilitaria (Post 8298950)
i want my click back.

Lancer506 11-07-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValhallaMilitaria (Post 8298950)
I want my click back.

Hahaha, success!

Honestly, Iíll post some photos up in a week or two of it. Just wondering if there was a reason it could be there before I go trying to remove it.

101combatvet 11-07-2018 07:01 PM

There could be many reasons for it, remove it now and laugh then cry later when you find out the reason.

bigschuss 11-07-2018 07:12 PM

Yeah....pure click bait here.

Seriously though, if you're spending money on German helmets just spend the $30 on association membership to share with the community in a genuine way rather having to bait the membership into reading a fairly useless thread without pics.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I wouldn't do anything until you post them for feedback.

fader107 11-07-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigschuss (Post 8299025)
Yeah....pure click bait here.

Seriously though, if you're spending money on German helmets just spend the $30 on association membership to share with the community in a genuine way rather having to bait the membership into reading a fairly useless thread without pics.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I wouldn't do anything until you post them for feedback.

thumbsup

Lancer506 11-07-2018 07:40 PM

Sorry guys!! Iíve been an association member since 2012 but I stepped away from the hobby for a couple years until recently. Between a new car and the unbeatable helmet deal I used up all my free cash!

Sometime soon Iíll have em :sweat: :laugh:

Immelmann 11-08-2018 08:34 PM

well that was a waste of bloody time...you cant scatch together 30 dollars to post a pic?

panzer1432 11-08-2018 09:18 PM

Maybe GI art

bigschuss 11-09-2018 06:17 PM

Saw the photos on the GHW. Nice looking helmet with a nice patina and a lovely decal. The painted stripe I think is going to remain a mystery. Could be period done for some unknown reason....could be post war. I wouldn't remove it though. With no chinstrap or liner....it's not like you're going to add any value by removing it.

Lancer506 11-10-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immelmann (Post 8299846)
well that was a waste of bloody time...you cant scatch together 30 dollars to post a pic?

No, I am pouring all of my money into the 2003 Grand Marquis I just bought that decided to stop running 4 hours after purchasing. :1scream: :banghead: It's on GHW for the time being and once I have the money to spend will be up here as well

Lancer506 11-10-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigschuss (Post 8300468)
Saw the photos on the GHW. Nice looking helmet with a nice patina and a lovely decal. The painted stripe I think is going to remain a mystery. Could be period done for some unknown reason....could be post war. I wouldn't remove it though. With no chinstrap or liner....it's not like you're going to add any value by removing it.

Thanks, I think your right. It is a good looking shell, and good for display on a mannequin so I don't have to worry about stress on the liner.

Steve Sherlock 11-10-2018 10:51 PM

This is an extremely useless thread.

Steve

Lancer506 05-12-2019 05:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Now that Iím an A. Member again, time to turn this useless thread into a useful thread, tell me folks, what do you think of this lovely big olí luftwaffe lid.

P.S just borrowed the photos from my old GHW post because I donít feel like recharging my old phone.