Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   tropical straps, opinions (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005141)

Zip3120 05-26-2019 10:51 AM

tropical straps, opinions

4 Attachment(s)
Hi
please what do you think about?
many thanks
Marco

Zip3120 05-26-2019 10:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
more

pauke 05-26-2019 12:36 PM

exc

Excellent reproductions IMO.:D

OSS 05-26-2019 01:47 PM

Agree, close but not quite there (thankfully).

ARDITO 05-26-2019 03:44 PM

La coda di topo del farben, č di cotone. opaca, sulle spalline originali deve essere lucida
in rayon, questa opaca a trama leggermente pių grande la trovi ancora nelle mercerie,
quella in Rayon non si trova pių, gran bel lavoro, anche spaiate, ma non buone.

Zip3120 05-27-2019 01:36 AM

thank you for your usual and valid help thumbsup
Marco

Zip3120 05-27-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARDITO (Post 8458831)
La coda di topo del farben, č di cotone. opaca, sulle spalline originali deve essere lucida
in rayon, questa opaca a trama leggermente pių grande la trovi ancora nelle mercerie,
quella in Rayon non si trova pių, gran bel lavoro, anche spaiate, ma non buone.

Grazie ARDITO, sei stato molto gentile e competente come al solito.
Marco

Tim O'Keefe 05-28-2019 01:05 AM

More fakes from the same faker/maker.

Zip3120 05-28-2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim O'Keefe (Post 8459748)
More fakes from the same faker/maker.

thanks you Tim :)

NZMark 06-16-2019 02:58 PM

I've been looking at these straps since they first came up. I'm very surprised at the negative reaction to them. Can someone please point out the faults which define these as reproductions?
I'd really like to know as I can't see them.
Regards,
Mark
NZ

90th Light 06-16-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZMark (Post 8473795)
I've been looking at these straps since they first came up. I'm very surprised at the negative reaction to them. Can someone please point out the faults which define these as reproductions?
I'd really like to know as I can't see them.
Regards,
Mark
NZ

Thanks Mark for bringing this to the top so they can be discussed further.

I am also at a loss as to why these tropical greatcoat shoulder boards are being declared bad. I pulled my ones out and did a comparative analysis.

Allowing for the limitations of computer images, here is what I came up with;

1/ Button holes are 100% correct. Can match them exactly with known 101% originals

2/ Olive brown wool is the correct lighter shade for a later tropical greatcoat (Earlier 1940/ 41 tropical greatcoats tend to be a darker shades of Olive Brown)

3/ Tongue lining is the correct linen/ poplin that tropical shirts are made from. One strap is lined with WH shirt material and the other is lined with LW shirt material (Note this is definitely not the "Cotton Duck" material used on some fakes and often cited as a dead give-away of bad)

4/ The lighter shade of powder Lime green Rayon piping is often seen on later tropical straps and absolutely correct when compared with some of my straps

5/ The thread is correct pre-1945 thread and the number of stitches per centimeter matches other known originals made before May 1945.

6/ One board having a field grey tongue is quite possible for 1942/ 43 production. Could even be a good sign of original

So what am I missing ??? :confused:

Tim states "More fakes from the same faker/maker" May be he could kindly add some images of other fakes from this maker and we can make comparisons for all to see.

At this stage for me, things line up nicely with known beyond doubt originals,

Chris

pauke 06-16-2019 06:04 PM

I will offer a few details. Firstly, the irregular edges are a sign. They should be straight and the curved end broad, blunt and have a smooth curve which these do not exhibit. The maker likes to leave a nice button impression and fading without the straps showing any real use. This point can be debated to death. Yes, the materials and basic construction are original or very well done but I would not pay $25 for these and I collect straps. There are a couple of other points I won't mention but these straps also do not look seven years old, much less seventy plus. It would be good to have a pinned thread into which these fine reproductions could be lumped for reference. These are and will be dangerous for future collectors and such is the fate for valuable desirable collectables. In hand two pairs I have inspected offered more information as to why they are reproductions. Jedem das Seine!

NZMark 06-16-2019 06:28 PM

Thanks Pauke.
I also collect tropical straps - and have handled many sets and singles. Thus my confusion...
Irregularities abound in strap manufacture - as does material condition due to storage, wear et al.
Mark
NZ

90th Light 06-16-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZMark (Post 8473920)
Thanks Pauke.
I also collect tropical straps - and have handled many sets and singles. Thus my confusion...
Irregularities abound in strap manufacture - as does material condition due to storage, wear et al.
Mark
NZ

+1 thumbsup

Other collectors with tropical boards who I emailed or spoke too could not see anything wrong with the pair which started this thread.

Some asked what is there to be gained for a faker from putting a field-grey tongue on one board and the use of LW shirt material to line it ??? :confused: Far more likely a case of an original manufacturer making straps from off-cuts in later half of 1942 or early 1943.

Top of the line fakes are not known for being made from a mismatch of materials. However to quote Tim again, if this is the work "from the same faker" known to USA collectors. Then surely someone can post images of his work or other such fake tropical straps with a similar hotchpotch of materials used to make them.

Let's not also forget that irregularities of shape of original straps are often the result of unskilled labor being pressed into a job with little training, especially from 1942 on-wards. Plus the use of off-cuts varied according to the size of the garment cut out. Both these factors can impact on the shape/ size of straps made from such off-cuts,

Chris

Willi Z. 06-16-2019 08:46 PM

Oh, good grief.....

It is so blatantly obvious these are fakes. The contrived button impression is now common on so many fakes. For starters....