Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Viet Nam Campaign Medal (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37467)

Jeff Ashenfelter 11-21-2003 02:21 PM

Viet Nam Campaign Medal

1 Attachment(s)
Here is something I thought you International types might enjoy. It is a Vietnam Campaign Medal that was made in country. These were awarded by South Vietnam for 6 months of service, or for wounds or death in action. This indigenous made example is still in the original makers box. These in-country made pieces are quite crudely made and the obverse is hand painted. Strangely enough, these crude Nam made examples bring 5 to 6 times what US made ones bring. Enjoy, Jeff A

Jeff Ashenfelter 11-21-2003 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff A
Here is something I thought you International types might enjoy. It is a Vietnam Campaign Medal that was made in country. These were awarded by South Vietnam for 6 months of service, or for wounds or death in action. This indigenous made example is still in the original makers box. These in-country made pieces are quite crudely made and the obverse is hand painted. Strangely enough, these crude Nam made examples bring 5 to 6 times what US made ones bring. Enjoy, Jeff A

Pic # 2

Jeff Ashenfelter 11-21-2003 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Pic # 2

Pic # 3

Jeff Ashenfelter 11-21-2003 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Pic # 3

Pic # 4

Jeff Ashenfelter 11-21-2003 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Pic # 4

Pic # 5

Kurt Doench 11-21-2003 02:55 PM

Thanks for showing. Always interesting for soemone whose collecting interests are firmly within Germany. But no prizes to be won for guessing why these would command a higher price than US-made versions, surely? Just not available in quantity on the US market.

Regards,

Schleppfux

MH184 11-21-2003 03:40 PM

Jeff,

If ever you get rid of that, send me a PM. I've got the States made one but 'in country' made medals are just never seen let alone the South Viet made medal's over here.

That's a great item with the box, it's shame though there's no bar. I love it.

Kind regards,

Marcus

gregM 11-21-2003 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff ,
Great find. thumbsup

Anything made "in country" is hard to find and usually pricey if you can
find something. The box is terrific.

Here is one of mine that I have always asumed to be made in country.

gregM 11-21-2003 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the back. Notice that it has a very similar flaw in the inscriptions
at about the center 8 o'clock position . I don't know if it is a die flaw or
a casting flaw but it is noticably uneven. ( mine is more noticable in hand.
I screwed up trying to adjust the contrast.)

Thanks for looking,
Greg

Jeff Ashenfelter 11-21-2003 05:55 PM

Hi Greg and Marcus,
Greg, you are correct. Your medal is definitely and in-country made example. I have had quite a few different ones and you can always tell by the three dimensional obverses. Marcus, I will let you know if I decide to sell this one. The bars were not attached untill the buyer chose which one to put on. Most people do not realize that the bars came with many different dates, some back as far as 49. The South Vietnamese were also awarded this medal along with other allied forces.

JBFloyd 11-22-2003 08:30 PM

Don't underestimate the rarity and value of the original box. These things were almost always crushed and seemed to melt in high humidity. As a result, you'll see 10 medals to every box.