wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Italian & European Axis Allies Forum

Italian & European Axis Allies Forum Dedicated to the Uniforms and Equipment of Italy and the other WWII German Allies.

Italian Navy Battleship Badge Opinions
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Waffenreich
Association Member

Default Italian Navy Battleship Badge Opinions

Good evening gents,

I bought a German combat belt from a seller on ebay and instead of receiving it yesterday I received this. The seller acknowledges that he made a mistake in sending the badge, but has given me the opportunity to keep it in lieu of the belt for the mistake.

My father's uncle was sunk and killed by the British off of Africa in December '42 while serving in the Regia Marina so I thought this would be a nice piece to have assuming it's original so what are your thoughts on its originality? I found only a couple here on WAF and they were slightly different in terms of design (none were for Battleships and were marked to the maker S.Johnson).

Thanks in advance for your time looking and comments.

vr

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (147.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (99.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (82.9 KB, 38 views)

Old 11-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
Semovente
Association Member

Location: Fort Capuzzo near to the barb wire border Mid Wales G.B.

Nice i like it !......The Badges you mostly see are the S .Johnson ones made just after the War , but are for RSI navy sailors veterans hence no crown etc ...also many fakes floating around of these awards !!...Semovente

Old 11-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
Waffenreich
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semovente View Post
Nice i like it !......The Badges you mostly see are the S .Johnson ones made just after the War , but are for RSI navy sailors veterans hence no crown etc ...also many fakes floating around of these awards !!...Semovente
Thanks for the quick reply Ed.

This is good news so I'll let him know I'll be keeping it. I assume the $56 I paid is a reasonably good deal for one in this condition?

Grazie e saluti!

Bob

Old 11-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
Semovente
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffenreich View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Ed.

This is good news so I'll let him know I'll be keeping it. I assume the $56 I paid is a reasonably good deal for one in this condition?

Grazie e saluti!

Bob
Well to me its ok Bob ! , as i say these with the crown are less common as they are pre RSI issue & many had the crown removed after 43 by sailors no longer loyal to Regia Marina navy ! But in the main the post war ones are always for sale on many well known auction sites etc !!
Regards Ed

Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Waffenreich
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semovente View Post
Well to me its ok Bob ! , as i say these with the crown are less common as they are pre RSI issue & many had the crown removed after 43 by sailors no longer loyal to Regia Marina navy ! But in the main the post war ones are always for sale on many well known auction sites etc !!
Regards Ed
Ed,

To me your word on Italian material is as good as anybody's so I'm comfortable with your initial comment. The hardware looks like originals and the detail is exquisite. Also, it was only $56 so if one day I find out it's no good it's not a big deal as I spend more than that on drinks in 2 hours on a Friday night.

Regards!

Bob

Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
Semovente
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffenreich View Post
Ed,

To me your word on Italian material is as good as anybody's so I'm comfortable with your initial comment. The hardware looks like originals and the detail is exquisite. Also, it was only $56 so if one day I find out it's no good it's not a big deal as I spend more than that on drinks in 2 hours on a Friday night.

Regards!

Bob
No thats cool Bob , very nice of you to say so !..
As i said originaly & like you ..it looks a very nice example , good detail etc ..i would be well happy if it were mine , & i think you've had the better deal personaly...
Regards to you ..Ed...p.s. sounds like your Friday nights out are a blast Bob...