wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
dragnet

Ive not read the work done by DOUG yet, but from being a member of GHW for many years and allways being interested in what Doug has to say, im sure he has put a lot of work into this research and i hope the endevour will be worth while.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
Perry Floyd
Lifetime Member

I was always suspicious of this decal. Would never own a helmet that had one or recommend owning one. As I recall the split was about down the middle before this.
There are ALOT of these helmets out there in collections today, many paying big money. Its going to be interesting.
My hats off to you Doug.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #18
dagoromagna
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Stephen View Post
What's it about? I do not feel like joining another forum.
Thanks
You'd better re-think about it...if you want to collect SS helmets.
And any other branch helmet...

Respectfully

G.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #19
DougB

Thanks gentlemen. For anyone that has not read the thread please join and take the time to do so, even if all you do is read the one thread. It removes all doubt as to the authenticity of this "decal" (which it is not) and does so in great detail including the deconstruction of one.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #20
DougB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Great research. Congratulations Doug. You nailed it, clearly exposing a fraud!
Once magnified clearly sprayed on using a stencil with fuzzy outlines and overspray even!!! No wonder these "decals" were so durable and pristine with artificial damage added!
Quite a few reference books will need an addendum now (and COA's tossed!)
Also amazing that these so called decal types were so good, that this rendition got copied as actual (but repro) decals in champagne color! WOW!
Just wish we could get something conclusive and undeniable with the Prague tan helmets, busting that myth (whatever way the verdict swings...)
Again congratulations on this big reveal and on getting awarded your honorary German "helmetology doctorate"! Well deserved Dr.DougB!
LOL thanks Nick. One day with time the tan helmet mystery will be solved. But time and diligent work are required. I wish you good luck in that endeavour, as you have built a compelling case and I stand by on the sidelines to see where you take it.

Cheers
Doug

Old 11-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #21
mario1

Great job Doug ..your work has more scientific dignity than many medical papers l read!! A big thank for the time spent
Mario

reposting my comment from GHW
Old 11-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #22
luftwaffenkopf

Default reposting my comment from GHW

Thank you Doug, you are a brave man indeed!

One possible aftermath of your revolutionary discovery is that the market will soon be flooded with "reasonably priced" Champagne SS lids, as many try to unload them onto collectors not familiar with your findings. This may also have an effect of pushing down prices of honest SS helmets in the short term...

It would help the collecting community if experts would acknowledge the truth and publish their retractions of their understanding of the Champagne "decal". I hope I won't have to hold my breath too long

Old 11-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
17thairborne

Your superb forensic work will help in all helmet decal authentication. Thanks

Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #24
FrenchVolunteer
Association Member

Hi,

just a small "thank you" to another WAF member who was ahead of his time, association member ZAM, who spotted spray of paint around a Champagne SS "Decal" in 2012 :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=578059&page=7

Like Doug said, the work of ZAM helped him for his study.

Something to meditate (especially for the people who violently attacked ZAM in 2012) :

An English saying goes "Sorry is the hardest word". This is not because it is hard to pronounce or spell, but because you have to admit that you have done something wrong.

See You

Vince

Old 11-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #25
Christian J

After reading that thread my first reaction is that we should keep an open mind at any time. In hindsight that thread is a cringer.
Kudos to Doug and ZAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
Hi,

just a small "thank you" to another WAF member who was ahead of his time, association member ZAM, who spotted spray of paint around a Champagne SS "Decal" in 2012 :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=578059&page=7

Like Doug said, the work of ZAM helped him for his study.

Something to meditate (especially for the people who violently attacked ZAM in 2012) :

An English saying goes "Sorry is the hardest word". This is not because it is hard to pronounce or spell, but because you have to admit that you have done something wrong.

See You

Vince

Old 11-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #26
JanC
Association Member

What a great thread. I love it when things like this do come out.
And I agree with Christian, we have to be open minded at all times.
You can only gain knowledge by study.
Don't Always believe the well respected and big dealer/collector. Even recent books are not Always right. Watch out guys.

There is another English saying: Words do come easy

Old 11-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
ROBB
Association Member

It is quite unreal the exact width of masking tape !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0584 a.jpg (92.9 KB, 1222 views)

Old 11-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
bigschuss
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian J View Post
After reading that thread my first reaction is that we should keep an open mind at any time. In hindsight that thread is a cringer.
Kudos to Doug and ZAM.
I was thinking the same thing. Keep and open mind. And man, that thread was both funny and painful to read...in hindsight, of course.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #29
DougB

Yes as I said in my thread, ZAM was on the right track in 2012 and it was this thread that gave me some pause for thought on these. Thank you ZAM.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #30
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Floyd View Post
I was always suspicious of this decal. Would never own a helmet that had one or recommend owning one. As I recall the split was about down the middle before this.
There are ALOT of these helmets out there in collections today, many paying big money. Its going to be interesting.
My hats off to you Doug.
I was always a critic of champagne runes and such criticism developed from a combination of observation and discussion with experienced collectors that I respect like Perry, Tom Kibler and Ty Smith. But unfortunately, voicing such skepticism in various threads inevitably faced unrelenting criticism and attacks from various parties, some with special interests and others who had been spoon fed the notion that that these runes were authentic. I am glad that Doug has shed sufficient light on this subject to confirm the beliefs of individuals who once held an unpopular view. This additional research has finally laid to rest this champagne runes issue where it rightfully belongs: in the ash heap of history. What a shameful chapter in the history of our hobby, perhaps one of the largest and longest living frauds in our collecting history.
We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
Iwo Jima 1945