wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Ruptured Ducks!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Brig
Association Member

Default Ruptured Ducks!

Well, here's most (not all) of my Ruptured Ducks, a lot of various versions, wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the version, the order the versions came out, years, etc, etc, etc.

Included are two patches (one on I believe Army Green, the other a khaki thicker canvas type material (purpose?)), a REALLY NICE pinback, a screwback (not included is a screwback cutout!), a type buttonere with two metal tabs connecting to the bottom button, a version with a flat bottom, and the last two rows are the most common type of buttonere you find out there

I'd like to get a magnifying glass and eventually show all the variations I can find here on the forum for others. Though common, I rather like this piece...thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05050013.JPG (66.7 KB, 322 views)

For Those Who've Fallen, We Will Not Forget. Semper Fi

Old 05-07-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Brig
Association Member

backs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050500141.JPG (56.2 KB, 303 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
Matthew T S

All of the ones I have are of the embroidered type on green backing, except for this one. It's printed on some type of synthetic material, almost like rubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF001226.JPG (52.9 KB, 257 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Brig
Association Member

I've seen a few on this really thin synthetic material, almost like an iron-on or something

Old 05-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Jack Dutton-Roberts

Educate me then! Whats a Ruptured Duck?

Thanks from Jack.

PS That looks like a comprehensive collection of the things

Old 05-07-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
JaimeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dutton
Educate me then! Whats a Ruptured Duck?

Thanks from Jack.

PS That looks like a comprehensive collection of the things
Do to a clothing shortage, discharged servicemen could wear their iniforms for 30 days after dicharge. The "eagle" showed MPs that the GI was not AWOL.

Old 05-07-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
Matthew T S

Marines were issued a variant with a darker shade of green, compared to the OD Army version. I guess it was to match the dark green color of Marine uniforms. Here is a comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0932.JPG (85.5 KB, 248 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Gary B
Association Member

Dear Brig,

I have been a collector of Ruptured Ducks for over 20 years and have over 200 variations of them. I originally started collecting them when I was a "poor" grade schooler since variations could be purchased for about .25.....plus no one was collecting them at the time so many variations were always available. Since I could write pages on this I will try to be brief.

Originally, an enameled version with the words "National Defense" was given to people honorably discharged prior to Sept 1939. In May 1943 the emblem was switched to an all blue plastic construction which was then plated gold (due to metal shortages). The words National Defense were dropped at this time. In Nov 1944 it was decided that the device would be used to indicate military personnel who were honorably discharged from the Service during WWII. Cloth versions were for wear on the military uniform. Metal versions were for wear on the civilian suit. The nickname came from GIs who, when leaving the service were sadd to have left as fast as a Ruptured duck (not really sure what that means but that is what they said). The insignia did entitle the wearer to wear his uniform for an additional 30 days after discharge (there was a shortage of civ clothing at the time). It also let the MPs know that they were an honorably discharged vet and not AWOL (as mentioned in a previous thread).

To address some of your questions: Pinback versions were for womans wear since women did not have a button hole in their lapel. Cloth versions were produces in all colors to coorespond to all of the different colored uniforms at the time. White for Navy whites, Dark blue for the Navy uniforms, Khacki for the Army Khackis, Green for Army greens, gray for cadet uniforms (rare), bullion (I have only seen one and I imagine it was for Officers etc). Cloth versions were produced ion both cotton and rayon like material with a screen printed insgnia.

Many other variations exist, sterling silver, 10K gold, 14K gold and 22 K gold. Some are maker marked by famous jewelry firms (Bailey Banks & Biddle, Bastion Brothers etc) others have pendants attached to them in the form of Division patches or ribbon bars. There are also plaques, decals, license plates, rings, match holders, bookends etc.

Hope this helps.

You have a nice start to a Ruptured Duck collection.

Gary B

Ruptured Duck
Old 05-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Bill Grist

Default Ruptured Duck

The Navy had them with a blue background.. There is one on E-Bay, now on a Mine Sweeper uniform...wfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B
Dear Brig,

I have been a collector of Ruptured Ducks for over 20 years and have over 200 variations of them. I originally started collecting them when I was a "poor" grade schooler since variations could be purchased for about .25.....plus no one was collecting them at the time so many variations were always available. Since I could write pages on this I will try to be brief.

Originally, an enameled version with the words "National Defense" was given to people honorably discharged prior to Sept 1939. In May 1943 the emblem was switched to an all blue plastic construction which was then plated gold (due to metal shortages). The words National Defense were dropped at this time. In Nov 1944 it was decided that the device would be used to indicate military personnel who were honorably discharged from the Service during WWII. Cloth versions were for wear on the military uniform. Metal versions were for wear on the civilian suit. The nickname came from GIs who, when leaving the service were sadd to have left as fast as a Ruptured duck (not really sure what that means but that is what they said). The insignia did entitle the wearer to wear his uniform for an additional 30 days after discharge (there was a shortage of civ clothing at the time). It also let the MPs know that they were an honorably discharged vet and not AWOL (as mentioned in a previous thread).

To address some of your questions: Pinback versions were for womans wear since women did not have a button hole in their lapel. Cloth versions were produces in all colors to coorespond to all of the different colored uniforms at the time. White for Navy whites, Dark blue for the Navy uniforms, Khacki for the Army Khackis, Green for Army greens, gray for cadet uniforms (rare), bullion (I have only seen one and I imagine it was for Officers etc). Cloth versions were produced ion both cotton and rayon like material with a screen printed insgnia.

Many other variations exist, sterling silver, 10K gold, 14K gold and 22 K gold. Some are maker marked by famous jewelry firms (Bailey Banks & Biddle, Bastion Brothers etc) others have pendants attached to them in the form of Division patches or ribbon bars. There are also plaques, decals, license plates, rings, match holders, bookends etc.

Hope this helps.

You have a nice start to a Ruptured Duck collection.

Gary B

Old 05-07-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
Rolf D.

I have two here that I will share.

The first one is a 14 K gold, made by General motors.

Box says

In
Recognition of
SERVICE to COUNTRY
in the
U. S. ARMED FORCES
WORLD WAR II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD 008.jpg (26.8 KB, 214 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Rolf D.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD 007.jpg (69.1 KB, 216 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
Rolf D.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD 006.jpg (24.5 KB, 209 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #13
Rolf D.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD 004.jpg (41.4 KB, 203 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
Rolf D.

Here is the backside, it is a screw back 14 Karat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD 009.jpg (27.5 KB, 203 views)

Old 05-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #15
Rolf D.

Here is one that is made out of sterling silver by N.S. Meyer. I am sorry for the horrible pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD 011.jpg (49.1 KB, 200 views)